Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a new truck soon, what should I get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ressurection, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

OK, I need guidance. I'm thinking either a used Tahoe, 4 door p/u or Avalanche. I don't have any particular needs that would dictate one over the other, except I want to be able to tow and have room for the family and gear. Any of these 3 would suffice for both of those. The wife wants to get a Subaru, or something like that :doah:. Not gonna let that happen! However, because of that I want to try and get the easiest one of the above from a driveability standpoint.

Basically at this point I'm thinking of getting whichever one is lowest price with lowest miles.

Questions:
    1. Is/are there any year(s) I should avoid or look for?
    2. Any features/options to avoid/look for? (engine, tranny, transfer cases, etc. that were either really good or really bad)

Thanks!

2. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

How much you lookin to spend?

3. Ressurection

That depends, I'm debating about the benefits of a new one with the fuel management system (adds 1-2 mpg) with the 100,000 mi. warranty, vs. shaving about $10k off the price and getting a used one (which would still have the 100k warranty for trucks newer than '03). In all likelihood it'd be a used in the $22k to $25k range.

4. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

For the 88-98 style models, the 96 and up had vortech 5.7s.. better power and milage.. 95 may have had it too but im not sure.

I vote tah0e.. but only if your going with the 88-98 style
    Otherwise i dont have an opinion.

Avalanches suck.. Its like some ricer went hog wild with the body.. Worse milage than the trucks too if i remember right.

5. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would suggest looking at the April issue of consumers reports. They have a real good breakdown of new and used vehicles, and ratings and recommendations for price ranges from 2K-30K and up for the used ones.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If your wife wants a Subaru or other small suv and you want to keep her happy I think I would forget about anything with a box in the back and look at Tahoes and Yukons. You will still be able to tow. And the wife will have a user frendly town vehicle she can haul the kids around in.

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

trailblazer might be a good choice. not too cramped, decent power for towing, and mpg is tolerable.

10. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

also most 100k mile-like warrantees only cover the original owner, need to check that too.

11. Ressurection

Maybe that 100k thing on used was a dealer offered thing. The guy specifically told me "2003 and newer get coverage up to 100k". Probably just powertrain, I didn't get into details with him at this point.

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It is most definitely a dealer offered thing. I sell GM. the 100K powertrain is new. It is transferable to anyone. it stays with the vehicle, not the owner, unlike some other companies.