Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a Rebuilt 6.2 w/ Turbo Up and Running?!?!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by OffRoader93, Jul 9, 2005.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

What all do I need to do to get this engine to fire? How do you bleed the fuel and injector lines? Do I need to prime the oil to the turbo before I start it? Are glowplugs a must in 80 to 90 degree weather? Any information that would make this go smooth would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Brenton

2. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

If you have a electric fuel pump it is alot easer to bleed the air out of the lines.I just disconect the out fuel line from the filter on the firewall.Turn the pump on until fuel comes out of the line.Hook it back up and loosen all of the injector lines at the injector.Crank engine until fuel leaks out of all the lines.Tighten the lines back up and try to start it .It may run alittle rough at first untill all the air escapes.
    If you have a mechanical pump fill your filter up with fuel first then crank the engine to bleed the lines.Just remember not to crank more than 10-15 second max so the starter doesn't over heat.Let the starter rest between cranks.
    I live in Florida and even in the summer mornings I need to use the glow plugs to start my 6.2 You definitly need glow plugs.
    Hope this helps

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Here's how I started my rebuilt 6.2L turbo diesel and recommend you do the same:

First, pull out all the glow plugs (or leave them out if you haven't installed them yet). Leave the injection lines cranked down tight. Pulling the glow plugs out allows the engine to crank easily without compression...it's easier on the starter and allows you to prime the fuel and oil systems.

Make sure the engine is full of oil, has new oil and fuel filters, and the radiator is installed, full of coolant.

Next, disconnect the oil feed line going to the turbo, and put the end of the line into a bucket.

Next, crank the engine over until a good supply of oil comes out the feed line (max. of 30 seconds cranking time).

Reconnect the feed line and let the starter cool.

Next, crank the engine some more at full throttle, making sure you have good oil pressure, and only cranking 30 seconds at a time, allowing the starter to cool.

Check for any visible oil or coolant leaks. Double check oil and coolant levels.

The goal is to crank the engine over until fuel mist starts spraying out the glow plug holes. It doesn't take very long.

Once you have fuel mist squirting out, reinstall the glow plugs, hook up the glow plug wires, heat up the plugs for 10 seconds, and then start the engine. You might have to hold the pedal down full throttle for a while, it'll probably start and die a few times until the air works out and you can keep it running.

Following these steps should allow you to start it without any fuss.

Casey

4. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys.

Brenton