Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a ride home??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 4, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Bought a new K5, asked the guy when I bought it if I could limp it home(bad trans, stupid autos), he said I should be able to just have someone follow me just in case. Well get there, let it warm up, rev the piss out of it, it won't even move an inch. We have a car trailer but its an older style trailer which is narrower so we can't fit a K5 on it. At least not this one. Anyone have suggestions? Having it towed would be an arm and a leg plus a ball or two.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

get a tow strap and pull it home

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

completely illegal, if it weren't so far away I would. Its like 20 minutes away so its just not going to happen, all major roads back too.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What about a U-Haul dolley? Is it too big to fit on that? If the tires are too big to fit, just throw some stock wheels and tires on the front end to get it home. I don't think that the dolley would be too expensive to rent for a couple hours. Just don't tell them that you are towing a K5 with it!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Kris

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

did it have trani fluid? if not, maybe just fill the bastard to build some pressure..?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just as I was about to reply about the dolly thing my buddy called and said he would tow it with his trailer for me. So its in the driveway now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

I didn't know towing with a strap was illegal. I would never do that /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Last summer I passed a guy pulling an old 10 wheel truck
    full of firewood, tow vehicle was a late 90's Ford Explorer
    and they were using a strap (which was only about 10 foot long) At first I thought the truck was tailgating the Explorer because they were so close, maybe 5 foot apart.
    (I live in a rural area so you tend to see some pretty stupid things done with vehicles) I did a double take when I realized this little Soccer Mom, Eddie Bauer Explorer wannabe SUV was towing this great big Truck, not too mention how short the strap was. Even worse it was doing it in a 55 zone, going 55 on the only "main" road we have around here. Got home , forgot about it until the six o'clock news when they had this idiot on the news because of the big accident he was involved in, in Rochester, NY on one of the main expressways at RUSH HOUR!!! I can't even fathom WTF this guy was thinking! (or smoking). Especially when you consider Rochester is about 25-30 miles
    away from me. Tow-straps are legal here (somewhat) but some people just don't have a clue...

[ QUOTE ]
    I didn't know towing with a strap was illegal. I would never do that /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]