Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting a second HDD to show up in My Computer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Sep 4, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

running XP windows and cant get second HDD to show up in My Computer, it shows upin BIOS and shows up in add hardware installed hardware list, yet there is no icon for it still, it used to show up fine before this new re-installation of XP,

hmmm

thanks

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

That's strange. Did you format it with the NTFS file system?

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You will have to go to the "Disk Manager" and format it before it becomes usable (gives an icon).

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That's strange. Did you format it with the NTFS file system?

[/ QUOTE ]

its the same as its always been, all i did was reinstall win xp

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> See if it shows up in the disk manager. You might just need to write a signature to it so it will show up. </font>

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> See if it shows up in the disk manager. You might just need to write a signature to it so it will show up. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

how do i get to that ? its not in start menu system tools anywhere, so hmm.. and what exactly is a signature ?

thanks

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, XP is a little different than 2000 which is what I really know well, so bear with me. Right click on My Computer, then click on "Manage", there should be something in the window that opens about hard drives or fixed disks or something. I have an XP machine at home, if you don't get it figured out by tonight I can walk you through it when I can get to it to check out exactly where you need to be. </font>

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok, that was easy, i have no idea why i didnt try right clicking on my computer icon, lol

says disk 1 is online but unallocated

hmm.....
    not good....
    can i recover anything from it ? i had internet shortcuts and several folders on it,

dang..

thanks!

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If it says it's unallocated then XP isn't seeing any logical drives on it, so it doesn't have a letter yet? Now is when it needs a signature written to it, usually it will ask you if you want to do that in a little wizard thingy. That's pretty odd, but it's happened to me before where I can't get a new OS to see what's on an old drive. See if you can assign a drive letter to it so it's accessible without actually formatting it, there might be something still on it. Odds are it's toast though, unless you buy some data recovery software. </font>

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

which wizard does this and nopetheres no letter except for my cd rom in which is d:\ and HDD 0 in which is C:\

E:\ is not showing still

thanks

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> When you're in that disk manager, right click on the drive that doesn't have a letter assigned and see what options it gives you. </font>

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Windows XP....
    click the START button and find Administrative Tools. Click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. Down the list on the left side is DISK MANAGEMENT. This window should show you all the drives in the machine (used or not). If E: is there do a Right Click, Delete Partion, then Right Click again and Create Partition and if its till not showing up RIght Click MARK PARTITION AS ACTIVE. If none of these help pull the hard drive out and make sure you have the second Hard drive set as a slave and the main drive set as master (if both are set as cable select the master should be at the end of the cable and second should be hooked to the center connector). If it is set as a slave I'm not sure what to do, if its not setup as a slave drive, set it as one and follow the above agian. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

update, hmm...

well, i removed the good primary HDD i use currently and connected the problematic HDD up as new primary all by itself and get disk controller failure error but it also gave the blue option bar at the bottom in the corner of the screen to boot by pressing F1,
    so i pressed F1 and got to DOS prompt and typed in fdisk and got through that no problem and then i let if format with FAT32 and then i went to install WIN98SE and during file copying i was getting copy file error windows unable ot copy CAbv file and mspaint file and such, and stuck on 10 mins into the file copying process, so i gave up, and then the HDd quit showing upin BIOS and it would never restart installing 98 wouldnt evne go to the menu to chose what i want to do with the CD, so hmm.. and now it shows a new disk error i forgot what it says, but basically it doesnt recognize a HDD connected at all now, so i suppose yet anothe rHDD is dead, we have had a ton of HDD die in the last year, especially about 4 months ago, just left and right dying HDD's, sometimes fried by accidently forgetting to turn off the power before plugging in a HDD in which i might have done in this case too.

sigh,.
    i need an endless supply of HD's, i imagine everyone else does too..

down to just one old maxtor 4 gig HDD now... crappy.

western digital is whats fried this time around, have had several of each die, and several fireballs also

where the palce to get best deals on HDD's currently, like 10 gig ? 20 gig ?

i need to get soemthing.

thanks

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Office Depot had a deal on a 120gb drive that was like $40 after rebates a few weeks ago, not sure if it's still going or not. Look on www.pricewatch.com, you can always get good deals on there. </font>

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Office Depot had a deal on a 120gb drive that was like $40 after rebates a few weeks ago, not sure if it's still going or not. Look on www.pricewatch.com, you can always get good deals on there. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

can we purchase from office depot online ?

18. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

In all the years I have been meesing with computers I have only had 1 seagate failure. So that is what I use the most.. When I put my daughters computer together I just bought a maxtor. That thing is noisey and I'll be willing to bet it doesn't last very long.. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That Office Depot deal is gone, I couldn't find it anymore. That one you linked is OK but its only 14gb, that's TINY! If you don't store much stuff that's fine, but for another $30 you could get a 60gb. I dunno, maybe you just don't need the space. I have almost 200GB of data stored at home, so I tend to get large drives. I don't like Quantum drives very much, I've found them to be really noisy. Usually I spend the extra money to get an IBM drive, but now that Fujitsu bought their drive business I stick with Seagate, or Maxtor if I'm feeling cheap. </font>

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

DON'T throw away your old HD. The magnets inside them are strong as hell (I think someone made a post about this here not too long ago). Good for finding stuff you drop on the ground or running through your diff to pick up shavings.