Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a spare into the bed of my truck - need ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shewheeler, Aug 12, 2003.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Ever since I stepped up to 37s, there is just no way in hell I am able to lift a spare into the bed of my truck. I'm not sure how much they weigh, but I could barely do it with 35s and now it's just not possible. I don't want my spare mounted permanently in the bed because I use my truck for dump runs and other truck-like activities and I don't always have a dude available for this sort of thing /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have been tossing around the idea of using one of these in conjunction with some sort of ramp. What do y'all think? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Seems to me like it would work, but you some of you guys are pretty clever, so anyone have any other ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

That would work if you could mount it to the bed. What about block and tackle from a tree or tall garage (I don't know what you have a available). Even a pully and some rope and a come-a-long would work. You could always get a long board and roll it into the bed.

Kris

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not a swing away carrier for the bumper? or maybe keep a piece of 2x6 with one ramp end on it to roll it up into the bed of the truck and ratchet strap it against the side of the bed into the stakes?

4. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    That would work if you could mount it to the bed. What about block and tackle from a tree or tall garage (I don't know what you have a available). Even a pully and some rope and a come-a-long would work. You could always get a long board and roll it into the bed.

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no trees or tall garage /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Ramp idea is a good one, but even with the tailgate down, I don't think I'm tall enough to get the tire all the way up the ramp. I think it would have to be something that would pull the tire up, rather than my having to push from underneath.

Good ideas tho... keep them coming! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Get a folding aluminum ramp. That way you can walk beside the tire as you push it into the bed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

get married....
    no?!?
    umm, a ramp. or a rear roll bar and then a block and tackle on it to hoist it up and into the bed.
    Grant

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What about a custom designed bumber than uses a shock setup and lift from the ground up instead of swinging sideways? I was gonas do it, just haven't had time. My intention was to use a 2WD spindle bolted to the reat flat portion of the bumber and have it swing from the bottom up. Anyway, just a thought.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

This was in the latest issue of 4 wheel and offroad magazine: www.spitzlift.com it seems like it would be the perfect tool for you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A little pricey though...

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    This was in the latest issue of 4 wheel and offroad magazine: www.spitzlift.com it seems like it would be the perfect tool for you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A little pricey though...

[/ QUOTE ]

That thing is kinda cool. Might be somethin worth lookin at Cheryle. It is kinda expensive though. You could use it for alot more than just loading a spare tire....Ice chests for one, I know you cart loaded ice chests around quite a bit. hehe, How do I know? Cause I loaded one of the heavy bastards for ya this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way, did anyone ever post pictures of your new front bumper on CK5? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could make something like that. Put a 2 inch reciever in the end of the bumper so you can get the tail gate open . Make a L frame out of some 2 inch tube. Make a piviot. Get one of those hand wiches and you have the same thing for about $60 or less. Make a mount in the bed over a wheel well for the L frame. It only needs to handle about 150lb so it doesn't have to be super heavy.

11. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That thing is kinda cool. Might be somethin worth lookin at Cheryle. It is kinda expensive though. You could use it for alot more than just loading a spare tire....Ice chests for one, I know you cart loaded ice chests around quite a bit. hehe, How do I know? Cause I loaded one of the heavy bastards for ya this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way, did anyone ever post pictures of your new front bumper on CK5? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, that thing is very cool, but it ain't $500 cool /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I think I could figure something else out before I would spend that kinda cash.

I didn't put up pics yet because I wanted to wait until it was all painted up and back on the truck. Soon /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

i saw the pics Kidjethro put up on your bumper. I like it primered!!!!!!! Gives it a rugged look! Post some Primer pics, it looks sweet from the front!

BTW, nice bumper!!!!!!!!!

As far as the tire.. Hmmm... Have any big friends or boyfriends? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That would be your best bet. Or what about a hi-Lift? rest the tire against the bumper or back of the truck and jack it up until you can tilt it in.....

13. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

14. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

NORTHERN TOOL I just bouoght one of these for my yellow pickup it folds out of the way under the bed rail when not in use

15. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Cheryle,

I think you should have a "hinged" spare tire mount that rotates off a roll bar in your bed. If the "hinge" was at the top, then when your bed is empty, the spare could rest at a 45* angled position in the middle of the bed. But when you needed to haul something, you could just rotate the whole assembly up so that the spare is where it would be if it was sitting up on top of a camper shell.... I may be doing a bad job of describing this, so check out Rob's spare mount:
    [​IMG]
    Imagine this thing attaching to a roll bar right behind your cab - and that might be a little clearer....

Marv

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a similar crane on my 74 K20 plow truck(flatbed),but its got an electric winch,and a large turnbukle to adjust the height instead of the hydraulic jack.Its allowed me to drag home several large heavy items that looking back,I shoulda left behind!Oh well, I can use it to get rid of them too I suppose!.A friend of mine had the same problem getting his large 44 inch spare in his truck--he made a peice of angle iron that clamps to his bedrails near the cab with c-clamps for easy removal.It has 4 short peices of 1 inch pipe welded to the angle iron,one on each side,and 2 about 6 inches apart about 3 inches away from the center,theese act as bearings for another long peice of 1/2 pipe goes thru them.He welded a crank handle to the end of the pipe and uses it as a winch by wrapping aircraft cable around it and clamping the cable to the pipe.I said it'll never work--but he made a liar out of me when he reeled in his tire,a riding mower up the ramps,he even used to help pull my truck out of a snowbank! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI wish I thought of it first! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifBest part is it can be removed in about 30 seconds,but its not really in he way anyway!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    i saw the pics Kidjethro put up on your bumper. I like it primered!!!!!!! Gives it a rugged look! Post some Primer pics, it looks sweet from the front!

BTW, nice bumper!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, he beat me to it, I was gonna wait until I got everything painted and then post pics, but, whatever /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as the tire.. Hmmm... Have any big friends or boyfriends? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That would be your best bet. Or what about a hi-Lift? rest the tire against the bumper or back of the truck and jack it up until you can tilt it in.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, big friends and boyfriends aren't always there when you really need them /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. shewheeler

yellowk20 - I'm liking that one... where did you mount it?

Marv - Looks good except I just removed the rollbar from my truck due to the fact that it was taking up too much space and it always seemed to be in the way.

diesel4me - This sounds like a cheaper solution. Any way you could get a pic for me?

Thanks!

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I would send a picture but I dont know why my scanner has not worked for quite awhile--I wish I knew how some of you can draw the pictures on the computer,but the reason I drive old heaps from the 80's is cause me and computers dont seem to mesh well!.Basically the thing he built is much like the thing truckers use to roll their tarps up with on dump bodies,only heavier duty.The angle iron goes across the bed in front,is clamped on with c clamps but could be bolted semi permanent.anything similar,like pillow blocks,or heavy eye bolts bolted to the angle iron(3inch X 3 inch is what he used) with a shaft thru them across the bed would work too,but you need 2 of the supports near the middle(but leave the center open,for the cable to spool up on like a winch drum) so the pipe wont bow out when the load is applied.Looks like a hand winch,only as wide as the trucks bed!.A picture would save a thousand words,wouldnt it? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

when it's stowed it fits under the bed rail I haven't mounted mine yet I can load the 44" tire bye myself most of the time but I figure one of these times I'm gonna end up hurting myself ..... so I oredered this thing about a month ago it came in last week Haven't had time to install it yet My boss has one on his dodge cummins it works good for picking up semi tires and wheels as well as other parts I like it cuz when your not using it its out of sight and out of the way