Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a wheel alignment with dana 60 and 44's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Nov 15, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Getting a wheel alignment with dana 60 and 44\'s

Anyone ever try to get the moded K5 aligned. I have a dually dana 60 front end that was machineed to fit single wheels and 44" ground hawgs. I do not want to eat my tires up and I get an occasional front end wobble. The only thing left is the alignment. I just don't know what anyone will say when I pull up to a shop with the beast. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Re: Getting a wheel alignment with dana 60 and 44\'s

Well I was a allingment tech for a while and for the wobble it almost sounds like a sway bar problem if the bushings are shot and plus 44 tires on a k5 or any rig is going to have a wobble with that big of a tire. I have never done work on a dana 60 but the only advice I can give you is bring it in to a shop and have it aligned and have the toe set on it and I dont think a strait axle dana 60 have camber adjustment un less they want to put shims between the spindal and knuckle and that would be really exspensive. just my opinion.
    colin

Save the whales Harpoon a fat chick.

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You may have to put smaller tires on for an alignment, this will be dictated by the heads on the alignment machine. Have the tech set the toe, and ask him if you need to install shims either between the knuckle and spindle or the leaf springs and the axle.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The alignment on a D60 is simply setting the toe-in to 1/8". Do you have a steering stabilizer? I tried to run without one due to figuring everything was brand new up front and it had the infamous 'death wobble' so put on a single and no more problem.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Not sure if we have the same wobble but I had a really nasty wobble that caused me to have to stop the truck. I fixed bad king pins and a questionable drag link. Replaced the steering stabilizer and added an ORD steering brace. I'm only running 35s but this wobble scared the bjesus out of me at highway speeds. Anyway, took it to a couple of alignment shops and the last one found that the front spring hanger had some movement. I welded this up last night and so far no wobble!! It was not much movement but the more weight that you put up there (D60 and large tires) the more likely this is to happen with just a little play. The quickest way to check this is to put both sides up on stands and have someone push the axle side to side. The hangers should have zero movement.
    Good luck.

6. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I had to do away with the sawy bar do to cross over steering....... Since I put the axle together myself alond with the steering linkage, it is prob a little off since measurements were made with a tape measure.....
    Thanks,
    Mike

7. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I think you should be looking more for a stabalizer
    I have never aligned the D60 w/ 44's.
    It won't last long - I can tell you.

You will always have some wobble

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

8. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Just outta curiosity why between the axle and the leafs?
    Mike

9. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I have a dually stabilizer, might try changing it since it is a few years old thou...
    Thanks,
    Mike

10. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

You think the wobble will stop or lessen?
    Mike
    Here the thing though, Had the 44's on with the dana 44 axle and never had wobble....

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The caster can be adjusted by shimming the housing. My pinion is actually shimmed down to get the proper caster. This is why it becomes neccesary to cut and turn the knuckles on really tall lifts, if you want the front end alignment right and still have a decent pinion angle.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Duh, sorry I am dumb.... I thought you meant shim one side more than the other. To respond to your post, the front end "should" be set at close to zero degrees. If mine is off it should only be by a degree or two. I didn't think that little amount would cause the wobble. I drove it around the lot when the angle was off by like 10 degrees when I was playing with my suspension and shackles. The problem wasn't and more or less severe.....I am gonna do some more work on sat. I will let everyone know how it goes..
    Thanks again,
    Mike

13. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the death wobble thing seems to be MUCH worse with the kingpin style d60
    i have fought it for years.
    the same rims and tires that never wobbled on the d44s were undriveable on the new d60
    there is no 'alignment on a d60 other then toe in which you can do in your driveway with a piece of chaulk and a tape measure. get the alignment shop to do a 4 wheel so you can verify the thrust angles etc, keep the printout in your records
    buy stock in your shock manufacturer of chioce and keep a steady diet of stabilizers on hand
    welcome to the club