Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting an alcoholic to stop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 2, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

How do you get an alcoholic to stop drinking?

A friend of ours does nothing but drink. Beer every day, every night and even some mornings. He doesn't work, and never finishes anything he starts because beer is more important. He's lost his license 2 or 3 times already, been through alcoholics classes, on a breathalizer... and now after all that, he still drinks as much as ever if not more. He genuinely has it in his mind that he MUST have beer to survive. It used to be slightly amusing, alway associating him with beer and being drunk, but now it's just annoying and dangerous for his own health. No one knows what to do; he won't stop. Maybe the only way he'll stop is if it kills him?

2. gauder

gauder Banned

They've got to want to stop, if not they won't. If they are weak and need help, a doctor can prescribe ANABUSE. It's a medication that makes someone who takes it vommit if they imbibe.

My monster-in-law loves the drink. Drinks vodka straight and tries to tell us it's water.

3. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Without going into anything too long and involved. I have been around enough druggies and alchies in my life to realize you cannot make them stop anything... most people in that situation (generally) have to hit rock bottom and come to a realization in their own mind that something needs to change. You can sit down with him when he's sober, voice your concerns, tell him that you care and worry for him and most of all, offer your support. My experience has been that you cannot change people.

Good luck.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll make in unanimous. In order for someone to kick a habit like that, they have to want to change.

5. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Shewheeler is right it will most likely take something pretty terrible happening to even have a chance at getting through to him and I can gaurantee you don't want to be there when it happens because more often than not alkies will take the people that care about them down with them. I have actually heard of people physically preventing an alkie from drinking not realizing that unlike all other drugs (heroin,meth,crack,pills) the withdrawals from alcohol can kill you, the others just make you wish you were dead. Basically all you can do is let him know you see a problem and when he is ready to confront it he should contact you but until then you are not going to be seeing him. If you can get multiple folks that care to join you then its basically an intervention. But be aware that his reaction will most likely be negative and your threats of withdrawing will have to be carried out to have any impact in the future. :(

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Uhhh yup so don't do that, when I stopped drinking everyday, my Dr. gave me valume for a couple weeks so I could detox and even then I was a sweaty shaky mess, I no longer wish to be that way, even on my last Bday, and I'm sure you all remember that....:doah: I was sick for days, no thanks, Moderation from now on,,,mostly...:p: Intervention might work if you and all your frinds are really close, but you'll probably just piss him off and he'll go get really drunk...

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Jail.... for a long time

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I had a similar situation with a friend. He went off the deep end on drugs and is a suspect in a missing persons case. Me and My Friends all just cut His sorry ass off and none of Us wants anything do do with Him. If He kill's Himself with His dope then to focking bad.........Loser.

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Milk Thistle

Helps the liver recover from toxins (such as alcohol)

Hawthorn Berry

Opens up bloodflow

Couple of herbal supplements that can aid in the detox process if your friend should decide to kick the habit. Ginseng also helps the body adapt to new stresses (such as withdrawal).

I'm attempting to quit smoking, I'm using Ginseng and Hawthorn to help my body get over it's addiction, and will be switching to just Ginseng in a couple days once the physical addiction is past.

You can find simple herbal already ground up in Walmart and other such places. I suggest actually disassembling the pill and making a tea, or mixing with a better tasting non-caffinated beverage such as kool-aid or a juice.