Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting back into fullsize

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78k5_au, Sep 12, 2004.

1. 78k5_au

78k5_au Newbie

Hey all, its been a while since I was here last, a about 3 years in fact, it sure has grown!

Im looking for any advice from 78 K5 owners about any thing specific to their model they would look at if purchasing again....I'm an ex 73 owner and after a few years without a chevy have decided to buy another.

Ive found what qualifies for a screamin deal in Ausralia for a Blazer and am off to check it out tomorrow.

Any thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I would mainly look out for rust. I know where I live most of the trucks look like what's in this link.
    Other than that, make sure it has at least a 350 engine, the '78 should have come with a th350 tranny which is plenty strong. If you know what to look for in axles, check to see if it has 3/4 ton axles in it (8-lug) If you stay on here long enough you will need them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There's not much I can really tell you to look out for. These trucks are very simple and you can fix just about any problem on them with very little effort. I say, if you like it buy it. If it looks like a bad deal, don't buy it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Good luck with your purchase and welcome back to CK5!

3. 78k5_au

78k5_au Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply...not having seen any other K5's in the flesh besides my old one I couldnt be sure that was the case.

I grafted a 14 bolt and 8 lug 44 in the the 73 and slapped together a propane 327 for some better motivation...the prospective acquisition will probably get the same treatment if its sporting a 12 or 10 bolt!

I ended up getting rid of the 73 because of the rust...it was woeful, a replacement body over here means another blazer!

cheers

Jason

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

If you buy it let me know as i have one in the backyard going to the scra;p yard sometime soon...maybe i could send you the wiring harness and other small parts you need before i sh-tcan it...

DW

5. 78k5_au

78k5_au Newbie

Hey thanks for the offer! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

I'll have the truck at home in a few days and will be able to crawl all over it and check it out for missing/hard to find bits.

I couldnt believe my luck..its a single owner import professionally coverted to RHD and has been in storage since 1992. Everything is original, the interior looks like it just had the plastic cover taken of it! AND not an once of body rust, nuthin,..zip!! Ive been doing up cars for years and cannot believe the good state of the tub on this thing...its gold!

I got it for $2500 which is incredible as my last one was a good deal at $8000 and was in no way comparable to this one. Ive had a sh$t eating grin on my face all day /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Again thanks heaps for the offer and I'll be in touch regardless. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

cheers

Jason

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

id say post pictures
    but youll probably make someone jealous
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

whats left of her will be going to the can mid week...

DW