Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Back into the Blazer World

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dprov35, Feb 13, 2001.

1. dprov35

dprov35 Newbie

It's been a year since I parted with my 87 K5 Blazer. I thought I could make a smooth transition into the new "suv" world. Needless to say, big mistake, as of this weekend, the wife will be driving a 2000 Nissan Xterra, something I could never get even close to cherishing as much as my Blazer...
    What I am looking for is any info, besides the great info listed on this site, that I might need to make my final descision between and 88 and a 90 both 350 Silverados.The 90 actually has about 20,000 more miles but the transmission seems to be shifting fine in both as well as both keeping a low temp.. Both seem to be in equal condition, great mechanical shape, and excellent body condition. This will be my second time checking them out and I plan to drive away with one of them after trying to be "patient" enough after a month of examining numerous 87-91 models... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this site seems to be a great source of knowledge.
    Also a quick question that has been asked before... I'm looking for a good quality soft top that can accomidate passengersin the back seating area... I have seen Kayline's and I was wondering if there are any others that are a good investment.. Thanks for your time and I look forward to the info.. Take care.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Congrats and getting back into the Blazer world...

As far as the 88 and the 90, I would get which ever one had the better body.. Everthing else can easily be changed..

For the soft tops.. Kayline is supossedly not making their tops anymore and is looking for someone to buy the business and hoepfully whoever buys it will continue to manufacter the tops. Another nice top is the Can-Back and can be seen in the product reviews on CK5.. This top is expenzive though, but you can put a roof rack on it and carry up to 350 lbs.. But they are aorund $1000 without the rack...

Welcome back!!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. dprov35

dprov35 Newbie

Great, thanks for the info Emmet. Very much appreciated!

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No Problem, Anytime....

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree 100%... whatever body and paint is in better condition. I'd also double check the condition of the front end parts and make sure the frame isn't cracked by the gear box... the rest is bound to be changed LOL. Also interior is kinda nice if it is in good shape. All those items seem to be pricey and add up just as fast as a motor or trans. Just my $.02 worth.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Canback tops are also not being made anymore [​IMG] apparently they were'nt selling enough to carry on with them. Obviously it couldn't be the price was too high! Kayline is out, maybe for good, so it looks like Bestop is the only one left. Skyler makes a top, but it makes the truck look like a short pick-up. Not what you're looking for.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

This probably dosn't help much, but I drive an '88 and love it, I wouldn't worry about getting the slightly older truck.

Aluminum running boards, rock sliders, same thing.

8. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

dont forget to check the gears whenI got my blazer I did not know any thing and i latet found out it has 2.73s in it
    thes are the gear coads

GU2 2.73
    GU4 3.08
    GU6 3.42
    GT4 3.73
    GT5 & GU8 4.10
    G80 GOV-LOCK LSD

[​IMG]Hail To The King

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>

9. dprov35

dprov35 Newbie

Thank you to all for your reply's... It is great that we all can have webite like this to help each other out... I look forward to maybe having a chance to help all of you out someday too. Please don't hesitate for any other opinions, they are all worthwhile... one note, I went on a website called soft-tops.com... they have a soft top that almost perfectly fits the bill for what I am looking for in a Blazer top... The only problem being is that it's for a Bronco...I had tried calling them today but of course I got an answering machine...Has anyone else come across it before? And if so, can it be converted to fit a K-5 or would the measurements be way off to convert it to fit a Chevy? Thanks again!