Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting better airflow?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BadK-30, Dec 28, 2006.

1. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

I have the stock system on my Daily Driver

[​IMG]

id like to open it up with a K&N but i havn't had anyluck finding anything on jegs, or summit. I have a quadrajet and HEI ignition. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have the filter,but I didn't feel any difference.

It's just nice to wash it off,then oil it,and re install it.

3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha:

But seriously, I had a 14" x 5" K&N from Summit that just sits on top of the carb. You may notice a tiny bit of difference if you jet your carb properly but it's more noise than power.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

There's no way you should be re-jetting for any kind of intake change. The same size jet will draw more fuel through it if the engine is pulling more air through it (to a point).

I am a believer in K&N filters :thumb:

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The amount of fuel a jet flows is finite, that's why we use different size jets and why they come in such tiny adjustments. (not to mention needles too)
    I've fitted hundreds of K&N filters to customers motorcycles and they ALL need tweeking, even the fuel injected ones. Some 1600cc and 2 ltr 4 cylinder cars will barely run when you junk the stock air box and fit an open element just like the smaller Jap bikes like ZXR400's, almost unrideable without the stock airbox without some serious tuning.
    Before I went injection on my trucks I spent months playing around with a Carter, changing jets, needles, springs and they all made subtle differences to different add-ons like a K&N, carb spacer etc.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

It looks like your K30 is an '80s model? If so, yeah there's a round plastic flange through the radiator support, between the radiator and the battery. Stock arrangement is a black plastic oval accordian "hose" that connects the flange to the air cleaner. All the engine people realized underhood hot air costs power. I use clothes dryer exhaust hose (4") and a couple of hose clamps. Using that hose makes it quieter.
    That plastic flange in the rad support, has a baffle on the grill side. The baffle keeps water/bugs/whatever from going down the tube. I used a hot knife to cutoff the baffle so the flange is an open duct. It does add a little boost at highway speed. I haven't had a problem with rain. Fording a river would be a different story, but if you're going that deep, should have a snorkle anyway.:D

9. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Power schmower, open element just looks cool and doesn't have all that plumming. :wink1:

[​IMG]

10. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

actauly, to make a long story short. I signed up on this site wanting a k30 in the future so i chose the name. Hanged out on here for awhile then wanted a K5. I graduated high school and recieved my dads old truck he built which is this 82c10 and i still want a k5 to wheel in the future when funds allow it.

Mastiff do you have any trouble with that combination sucking in water?

11. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It seems to me that motorcycle carbs are much more sensitive to any changes (altitude especially) than car/truck carbs.

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my filter looks just like that only dirtier. I haven't had a problem with water. 2 reasons. the filter sits about 6 feet in the air and the fact that its an oil bath setup. oil and water don't mix so occasional splashes don't bother it.

snorkels are great if you want to be swimming inside the cab. if water starts coming in the cab its deeper then I want to mess with.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Take the snorkel from the air cleaner , a piece of dryer duct , and two clamps , and go right to the spot made for it next to the pass side headlight .

This will force cool air into the filter , versus your underhood hot air .

14. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Well back to better airflow... I've got the edelbrock open air cleaner and K&N right now but I've been thinking about a snorkel for playing in the mud and water... but I feel like the snorkel will restrict airflow way to much and they look pretty ridiculous. Then the ram air setups seem to be effective but would definately suck everything up, including debris and water.

So I'm trying to think of a way to design a snorkel type induction system that looks nice and increases airflow.... I came up with the idea now yall build it... lol j/k.

I'm thinking about getting a corvette air cleaner with the dual inlets and running hose up to the cowl area right in front of the windshield and maybe two 6" inline fans to push some air... just a thought.

15. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Not sure how to word this without sounding like a ass but why would the other side force cooler air in?

16. gmc4cw

kind of a not effective electrically powered supercharger.:D

If you want to play in the water a high mounted snorkel is effective or run the plumbing into the cab right through the firewall.

17. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

The high mount snorkels are just ugly if you ask me... atleast the ones i've seen on blazers that people have made, plus I like symmetry and I wouldn't mind running it inside but I want to keep my heater and A/C and would it not be restrictive have to suck air through a pipe?

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Right now your snorkel is sucking in underhood air .

If you had the factory hose , or made one , it sucks air from in front of the truck , getting lots of air the faster you go .

Or run it to the cowl for cold air (where the musclecars got theirs) .

19. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

ahh i see pauly, thanks for clearing that up looks like i need to make a run to the junkyard and see what i can find.

20. gmc4cw

I agree that most snorkels are ugly. the size and shape of what you use is whats going to determine if it is restrictive. smooth plumbing shouldn't add any more restriction then the filter element.