Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting big meats in and out of your rig...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 18, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok, i know this sounds really dumb... but for those of you running 39.5-44" tires that you ONLY use off-road (ie you drive to the wheelin spot on lil 35s or something, and then swap when u get there)... how exactly do you go about getting them in/out of the back of ur rig? I'm a scrawny guy of 180 lbs... and a 39.5 TSL on a HD eaton wheel is just to heavy for me to safely lift it up all the way into the bed of my lifted rig. getting it out i can handle... but getting it back in... uhg. i dont want a back injury or some poop... so what do you guys do? I was thinking about maybe getting some of those brackets that you attach to a 2x10 (or whatever) that some peeps use to roll atvs onto trailers and crap... but Id use it to roll my tires up into my rig. where do you get those things? i dunno... i just know i dont wanna screw up and get a permenent back injury.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

2. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    lil 35s

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, I knew my 35s werent cutting it. now i will really have to get serious about the one ton and cross over and oh god my credit just exsploded.

good question though, sorry i coulnt answer. You could start lifting those tires and bulk up to 210 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you can buy those foldable ramps for lawnmowers anywhere. i think i saw some at K-mart or Walmart the other day. it's not a bad idea. or you could buy one of those cranes like you see on service trucks /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

on a big truck those would barely reach the ground and be like straight up. . .maybe even hang fromt he tailgate without touching the ground /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I personally drive my 44" TSLs to and from whatever wheeling spot I happen to be wheeling at. I also weigh 185 lbs...and at 6'1" that makes me a "skonky". (a skonky is commonly found in west Georgia and east Alabama and is short for "skinny honky") My suggestions are to get a friend like I have ( my friend Bam Bam is great..he can weld good and bench press 600lbs, although not at the same time), back up in a ditch and roll them out, or get about 5 folks together with 3 trying to be boss and use teamwork.

6. jekbrown

lol, my wheelin partner is my gf... we havent tried lift'in the tires together yet, but shes pretty small. hmmm... guess I'll just have to try it and see. Once i get my new tailgate made (simple 1" square steel tube with aluminum panels filling the gaps... and snaps on top for the soft-top to attach to...) I am thinking about using it for this duty... just install it with a quick disconnect type system... pop it off... presto, instant tire ramp. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

as far as driving my tsls on the highway.... no way in hell. not only is the center of gravity thing a worry... but so is gas mileage and tire wear. I paid a grand for them TSLs, i dont wanna grind off all those beautiful lugs on pavement!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

anyway, any1 else have any ideas? Im gonna have to measure how high my rig is and then see if some kind of pre-made thing would work...

j

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

After a while I think you hit a point where either you deal with the big tires on the road or you get a trailor to haul it on. I used to run the 36" untill the trail and then switch to the Boggers. What a pain in the butt.

8. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

79beast
    [ QUOTE ]
    .......get about 5 folks together with 3 trying to be boss and use teamwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is great.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Unless your driving really far distances (4+ hours) to the trail I'm guessing you will get tired of dealing with changing tires out all of the time.

If you had a safe place to keep a small trailer (like one you would hall a lawnmower or something) when you went on the trail, that would be ideal. They sit really low and you wouldn't have to worry about putting muddy tires back in your truck.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Get one of those old u-haul enclosed trailers and put you a tire rack in there. You can also add a little air compressor and a jack. Lock it all up when you are running, then when you get back, it's right there.

11. jekbrown

long term, a lil trailer is a good idea. Cant do it for the time being tho... i still need to engineer/fab the locking mechanism for my revolvers before i do any kind of towing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AFA getting tired of swapping them... no doubt i will... at the same time, every time I look at that $1000 receipt for the TSLs, I'll begrudgingly go back to turning lugnuts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Do you have onboard air and an impact wrench? That plus a trailer would make that chore a lot easier...

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    long term, a lil trailer is a good idea. Cant do it for the time being tho... i still need to engineer/fab the locking mechanism for my revolvers before i do any kind of towing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then ask yourself this, are the revolvers worth it? Till you get the locking thing figured out, sitch back to a stock shackle...

Or buy one of these and put it in the bed /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ...

[​IMG]

14. jekbrown

for the time being the revolvers are staying in there. Someday I will go with coilovers or something. for now, Id rather solve the tire problem somehow than have it dictate how the rest of my rig works. I mean heck, if solving the tire problem was tantamount, I'd just take the lift off my rig entirely and go back to stock springs etc. presto, easy loading!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You know, I was half joking with the crane idea, but now that I thin about it, you could make something real simple out of box tubing and a hand crank like you use to load boats. Mount it on the inside and use a bearing and hub like the tire carriers then load away. You know, I may have to make ME something like that, and I'm big enough to load my tires, just to lazy /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. jekbrown

yeah, i had the same idea. you can get one of those small hand-cranked hoist things pretty cheap. Once I get my welder up and running, I think i am going to fab up some kind of bracket that the hand crank deal could attach to in the bed, and then have the cable run over a pully that would attach to my rear hitch somehow and be able to rotate, so i could hoist something up, turn the mechanism and then set the thing i am lifting down in the bed. it be especially cool if I could break the thing down like a cherry picker when i wasnt using it. hmmmm... have to work on a design for that. of course, it may be a lil while b4 i can use my welder anyway so... other any other el-cheapo ideas peeps might have that i could use in the interm would be coolio. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

17. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, I was half joking with the crane idea, but now that I thin about it, you could make something real simple out of box tubing and a hand crank like you use to load boats. Mount it on the inside and use a bearing and hub like the tire carriers then load away. You know, I may have to make ME something like that, and I'm big enough to load my tires, just to lazy /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i translated your sig on my first try/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I think i translated your sig on my first try/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have trouble with it every now and then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It only took me ten minutes to type it, I kept confusing myself /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

just ? here to ask what you plan on doing with you're rode tires???
    i mean when you get there and swap tires, you gonna put you're rode tires in the back, and hope you arn't killed by a flying tire or two??
    or leave them leaning against a tree hoping they are there when you get back?
    small lockable trailer seem's the best.

dave

20. jekbrown

street tires? depends on where i am wheeling i guess. lockage trailer would be best, but i dont have one. If i am at a oregon park I could camp in a yurt and lock them in there... perhaps run a chain/lock through all the rims and through a piece of furniture so even if some1 did break in it'd be a pita to try and snag 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

if thats not possible, I may run with them in the back of my rig, I have lots of tie down points and lots of ratchet straps that have a 300+ pound working capacity. they oughta be able to hold 35s down even if i did roll my rig.

j