Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Bolts Off Stock Shocks in Rear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87K54WD, Apr 3, 2000.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Was just wondering for those of you who have taken the rear stock shocks off .... why are the bolts going in from the inside of the frame.... hard to explain in words but the way they are in there makes it hard to get a wrench back there. Don't have much room because of the frame, tank, etc. Looks like I'll have to do baby turns, which will take forever. Not to mention gives me no leverage to get the bolts off to begin with. I'll definitely be using the WD40!! I don't understand why they just didn't put them (bolts) in from the tire's vantage point. Again hard to explain in words, but for those who have done this probably know what I mean.

2. Orange

Orange Registered Member

I don't know any way else than baby turns. It didn't take me too long to get them off. I had help from friends. So I may be wrong but at the time I took mine off that was the only way I could do it.

Orange 84' Jimmy

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I have no ideal what you guys are talking about my bolts are at the frame accessable from the wheel well an impact takes the nuts off and a wrench just sets against the inside frame rail to hold it still.

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I think copper is right. I was just looking at my rear shocks this weekend (rear drivers is loose at top mount) At first I thought the same thing...baby turns. But then i realized it's just a bolt head on the inside of the frame and the stuff that's got to turn is on the outside of frame, by the tire. a closed end wrench should only be needed on the back side. But maybe your is different.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I just use an impact gun to get mine off.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"