Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting "C"s turned on a Dana 44.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1976Blazer76, Apr 17, 2006.

1. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

This may be a dumb question, but I'm gonna shoot anyways. Just bought a Dana 44 for my 76 Blazer that had the "C" turned for a better pinion angle. The person did this right next to the u bolts and just welded it back up. My question is shouldn't he have put a sleeve on the inside of the axle to help support the cut? A knowledgeable friend of mine told me that with 42's and 500 hp, this has a real good chance of breaking off because it was only welded. If anyone knows a site with pictures or just explaining that you need a sleeve, that would be awesome. Or, just your general knowledge. Also, I'm aware I need a dana 60, but that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think you will break other stuff with that much power and and that much tire before you break the axle tube. It also depends on the weld, there is a guy around here that does it like that doesn't sleeve them either and I have never seen one of his break. Still kind of Ghetto in my mind though. When you get your 60 you can cut the welds on the Cs and rotate it with much force until you get the right angle then reweld it

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the proper way is grind off the welds at the "c" welds to tube. then place axle in a fixture and turn pumkin up till you reach the angle you want. and re weld back together. if i under stand you correctly the tubes were cut? if so not to good in my eyes.

4. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the tube was cut. I called the guy back that I bought it from because he told me it was cut at the C's. Got it home and the tubes were cut with no sleeve in it. He preached to me over and over about how its totally fine just welded. So being just welded isn't going to hold up to well is it?

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

LIke someone mentioned, If it was done correctly it will be fine. A properly executed weld is actually stronger then the base metal. If your worried about it, add a brace or 2. Then run it till it breaks and buy yourself a 60.