Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Closer...Engine Swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Okey Dokey, well yesterday i saw the truck i wanted to buy again and it made me get all excited about it so i talked to my mother about it (im a youngster). she talked to my father, and they're thinkin about takin my sis' old accord and selling it so they can buy that truck for me before it gets away. the first thing i'd do was swap the motor to a 350 b/c of the 38's, so what would i expect to pay for a rebuilt 350 and have it installed? and how much could i sell a '83 305 w/about 107K miles on it? thanx everyone for keepin me goin on the blazers.

2. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

i found a place that would put a rebiult 350 in and have a cam put in it in for 1200 bucks thats not bad but u might be able to find a cheaper place i was gonna get it down there tell i found a 327 with over 400 horses and 400 ft lbs...;0)

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

This is just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off buying a stock or nearly stock truck, and then build it up yourself. That way, you know whats in it, you know it was done right, and there is a less chance of getting someone's toy that they beat the crap out of every day. I know people that have bought trucks that were like that, and they have had nothing but problems. Just my $.02

90K5

See my truck at <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</a>

4. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

The guy is a friend to our family and i have been around that truck from when he bought it w/31's on it untill now w/the 38's. it also has dana 60's front and rear.

5. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

For $1,200, I'd by a new crate engine and drop it in myself. My 350 was tired, so I bought a replacement 305 (that came with a truck attached to it) for $250, dropped that in, and am rebuilding the 350 myself. If I wasn't so into building my own engine, I'd definitely go Crate.

Different people have different definitions of "rebuilt". If you buy a rebuilt motor, get it from the shop, you might get a warranty with it.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

6. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Definitley for $1200.00 I would get a 350 4 bolt mains crate motor with warranty and good power ready to install. THAT is the thing to do. I've been in your shoes before Mr. Youngster! Save yourself the $$ and have a good feeling of having a quality crate motor under the hood young fella.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

7. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

same here i think that is what u should do its always good knowing u got a nice fresh new motor under the hood and nothing to worry about .. good luck