Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting grease out of upholstery?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Mar 24, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah I was stupid and put some rims in the backseat floorboard of my ram. They had some grease on them and now it's on the back of my tan front seat. It's that fuzzy upholstery. I haven't touched it with anything yet for fear of grinding it in deeper. Somebody mentioned oxyclean....any other good suggestions for how to get this chit out? I'm thinking of selling this truck and it's gonna be a little difficult to do with greasy seats! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Thanks

Bryan

2. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

gum-out or goo-gone, stuff like that would probably work too but oxyclean works well on grease and would be the least likely to leave any stains.

Logan

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Oxyclean works pretty good but if all else fails try WD-40.

I've used it to get grease stains out of car seats and the carpet in the house (wool and cotton) and it works great. Once you get the grease stains out then give it a good shampoo to clean up any residual WD-40 (it's a little stinky).

But, like anything else, test it on a small out of the way spot to make sure it won't totally screw up your fabric.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I detail for a living and I use zep industrial cleaner thier purple stuff, about $8.00 for a gallon but works on every thing, also didi wonders in my carpet inside the house where stuff is tracked in. Just dilute it about 1/2 way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

NO! I bought some of that oxyclean stuff and didn't care for it. I sprayed it on let it set and tried scrubbing it out... no go, just rubbed it in farther (it did ok on the carpet, but not on the seats). I saw a new 'Resolve' ad on tv for a foaming cleaner for household carpets. That would probley be better. Foam sits longer then water. I would try spraying the foamy stuff on and rub it around litely and let it sit. Then use a spray bottle to rinse it off (hold a towel under it). That way you rinsing the cleaner out and not rubbing it around. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Might work, the foamy carpet cleaner I use to get from AutoZero they dont have anymore.
    I did mix up a spray bottle of the oxy cleaner and it done wonders on the dirt on my door panels and door jams. If you let it sit too long on the dash vinyl it discolors, leaves white spots on stuff and it does not work that great on glass. I was trying to use as an all around cleaner getting the DIRT out of the project truck. I had to use two 24 oz bottles (about one tablespoon of oxyclean per bottle) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I use Go-Jo and it seams to work pretty good and doesn't tear things up or fade out the color...

7. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Try some WD-40 then use freebreeze to get the smell out

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

M-1 Remover/ cleaner. Stinks like hell but it will get tar out. dip a old tooth brush in it and then blot it with a paper towel.

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

TUFF STUFF, you can find it at wal-mart. i've found that it works great on grease and things like that just use a soft scrub brush with it.

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

May want to try a little brake cleaner. I used it on carpeting in my truck and at home. It works wonders, but the usual disclaimers apply, check small area first... yadda yadda...

John

11. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Simple Green...Usually works on anything and I have used it on auto carpet with good results.

12. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I put another vote in for zep. It works a lot better than just about anything I've tried including oxyclean and simple green.

This may be a stupid question, but if you have a truck, why not put the "greasy" wheels in the bed? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BIGJ

13. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok we have two votes for zep but where do you buy the stuff?

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

when I was working on the oil drilling rig in the tar-sands I used GOJO hand cleaner to clean the tar and oil out of the upholstery of the rented suburban.
    it worked surprizingly well, I bought some for home

15. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck using GOJO also, followed by simple green to get the GOJO smell out if water doesn't get it all.

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Allright, looks like zep, gojo, or simple green. Where do I get the zep?

And btw BigJ....I happened to have 4-42's and 4-36's in the bed. being a swb with a toolbox, the bed was already rather full! Am I gonna see you in ourkansas in a couple weeks?

17. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I figured there was a good reason for not putting them in the bed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yep, I'll be at Hot Springs all weekend.

I picked up some zep from a friend that has a detail business. He said you can buy it at home depot, although they may not have all of their products. Here is their website.

BIGJ

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Oxy clean wont work on thick grease very well. Try quick and bright. I've used it before on car greasy stuff, and it worked for me.

19. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Theres also Folex. Its a insanely strong upolstry cleaner. Ive used it, and its worked on things worse than grease.

20. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Once you get the grease stains out then give it a good shampoo to clean up any residual WD-40 (it's a little stinky).

[/ QUOTE ]

stinky? what? i love that smell. . .as i do gasoline- the best smell in the world. . . why do all the good smelling things have to be carcinogenic?!!?