Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Heads rebuilt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stallion85, Dec 2, 2003.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am getting the heads rebuilt for my 350 for $150 a head. Is this a fair price? The guys shop is kind of a dump but a few guys around town recommended the shop. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

this is what i have been charged from local shop

$325/pair. new springs, new seal, seal towers(broke when valve taken out)8 valves and valve job
    $150/pair, check valve springs, new seals and a valve job.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Depends on what they do. A pair of heads usually costs around that if they do a 5-angle valve job, tank, magnaflux, and reassemble with new seals.

However, I'd never pay that much. A pair of heads usually cost $80-100 to grind and assemble. If I were to pay what you are considering I'd buy a new pair of Vortec heads for $450.

4. stallion85

Will the vorted heads go in with no other problems? Do I have to get a new intake manifold? What other costs would it entail to get the vortec heads?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Will the vorted heads go in with no other problems? Do I have to get a new intake manifold? What other costs would it entail to get the vortec heads?

[/ QUOTE ]

New intake that is way more expensive than the stock style one
    Different intake gaskets that you should probably only get from the dealer
    self aligning rocker arms are required
    Machining if you use a cam with more lift than .465" or .480" depending on the heads
    If you want to keep your EGR valve you'll have to do some work to keep it

Vortec heads are great but they're not easily retrofitted and that's why aftermarket heads are typically a better value.

6. stallion85

Thanks for the heads up, For now I think I will just spend the $300 and get them rebuilt. Thanks for the replies. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This subject has been flogged pretty well in other threads. As a side note, a good pair of ported camel humps beat Vortec heads unported. It's hard to get a stock pair of smog heads to flow what a pair of Vortec heads do.

AFR 195s are the best bang for your buck in the aftermarket realm and Vortec heads compete with them for a lot less dinero.

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Just as a reference, my 454 heads cost $325.

That included:

-disassemble and clean
    -resurface .010"
    -valve job
    -new seats
    -new guides
    -new seals
    -check all springs
    -reassemble

Chris

9. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

Forget the stock castings if your serious about making any kind of power. Yes, the Vortec head is a great "off the shelf" head, but if you have to worry about emissions testing they are pretty much useless.

For any motor I build above stock level, I just buy a pair of Pro Topline "Torker" heads. They cost $530 COMPLETE and will out flow ANY stock production GM casting hands down...period. Compared to dumping down the money to get a stock head rebuilt that will likely need guides, valves, springs/retainers, and the valve job itself......for alittle more dough you can get BRAND NEW heads that are much better than the one's you already have or ebay "specials".
    http://www.competitionproducts.com/page6.html

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I second FA. Vortecs are great heads, but for the hassle that comes with them (different intake, no exhaust crossover, low lift capability stock, etc) any of the pro-topline heads are a good deal.

As good as the new heads are, I would NEVER rebuild a set of old ones unless I was racing and the class required stock heads.

IIRC, the pro-toplines can be had in the "old style" intake bolt pattern, perhaps even with an exhaust crossover, so it wouldn't affect any emissions/choke setup like the Vortec heads/intake can.

11. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

The Pro Topline Torkers I mentioned do have the exhaust crossover passage for EGR/choke.

12. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

So what's the difference between the 2.02 and 1.94? Are these the valve diameters? Will both work on a 350?

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The 2.02 and 1.94 refers to the diameter of the intake valve. the 2.02 valves are usually paired with 1.6 exhuast valves while the 1.94 valves are usually paird with 1.5 exhaust valves

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Both will work, but unless used in extreme applications (typically high RPM, although other factors do apply) the differences aren't that big.

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Forget the stock castings if your serious about making any kind of power. Yes, the Vortec head is a great "off the shelf" head, but if you have to worry about emissions testing they are pretty much useless.

For any motor I build above stock level, I just buy a pair of Pro Topline "Torker" heads. They cost $530 COMPLETE and will out flow ANY stock production GM casting hands down...period. Compared to dumping down the money to get a stock head rebuilt that will likely need guides, valves, springs/retainers, and the valve job itself......for alittle more dough you can get BRAND NEW heads that are much better than the one's you already have or ebay "specials".
    http://www.competitionproducts.com/page6.html

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit of money for some bare heads...

Another $200 - $300 (more if you want some decent valves) will need to be added.

PLUS don't forget your CC chamber size... different guys are running different pistons.

16. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am getting the heads rebuilt for my 350 for $150 a head. Is this a fair price? The guys shop is kind of a dump but a few guys around town recommended the shop. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little more here in CA. As I recall I was looking at $395 for a valve job, some exhaust valves, seals, springs ($55.) and a deck.

Good luck.

17. stallion85

I think I have decided to stick with the stock heads. Right now $300 is all I can afford with a new baby on the way. Luckily the wife understands my sickness (CK5 Fever /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) That darn thing has cost me so much money in the past year, I keep telling myself... one of these days your gonna have a good reliable truck you won't have to worry about...yea one of these days /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I have decided to stick with the stock heads. Right now $300 is all I can afford with a new baby on the way. Luckily the wife understands my sickness (CK5 Fever /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) That darn thing has cost me so much money in the past year, I keep telling myself... one of these days your gonna have a good reliable truck you won't have to worry about...yea one of these days /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

might as well take your $300 and flush it down the toilet. just wait, and save up a little more money as you can. you'll thank us later.