Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting me depressed, what should I do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dandwg, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Well, i have had my Blazer for about 3 years, I love her to DEATH, but, for the last 6 months she has ben sitting in my driveway. I can not drive g=her because the freaking smog, I got a smog test only registration. Heck, I am not a great mechanic and she needs everything for the smog put back in. She has a Edelbrock 600cfm carb and the stock Quadrajet needs rebuilding. Money, that is what is mainly stopping me. I have a new truck payment and a 1100 rent every month.
    What should I do guys? what would you do? Do I sell her so she gets backon the road with anothers love or wait another 6 months to try to save up some cash?
    [​IMG]

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Definitly keep it! Otherwise I have a feeling your gonna regret it down the road /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd move out of the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia) so you can drive it again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously though, what's the history of the truck? Is all the smog stuff ripped out? If so, how was it ever registered in CA before? What happens when you try to smog test it? Don't they have to tell you what smog junk is missing? If so, just keep going back and putting on the thing they failed you for.

I guess it still depends just how broke you are though. It'd be a few hundred I suppose to get the carb rebuilt professionally and to buy the smog stuff you need. I'd keep it and just take my time getting it up to snuff and learning how to do most of it myself.

Good luck.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Shop around. The smog stuff can probably be had pretty cheaple in areas that do not test. I imagine in CA that kind of stuff collects a premium.

PS ditch the new truck and see how much money there is now for the K5 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

The last time I had to smog it, i was able to squek through at a regurlar smog station, now I have to do it at the big boys shops.
    But, after posting this thread, I started missing her already lol. I guess this will be my project for summer, but dang, I see your guy's truck pics with the doors taken off and I want to go wrench /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

PS ditch the new truck and see how much money there is now for the K5 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of that one already /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with Mastiff. Move the phawk out of Cali. That state is a $hithole to live in with all the smog laws, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with Mastiff. Move the phawk out of Cali. That state is a $hithole to live in with all the smog laws, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

turn her into a trail only truck. She'll be more fun that way.

Nick

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Come out to iowa, hell I bet it could be had for $10 bucks no one out hear needs any of that crap /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Whats the smog cut off year, 78 or somethin find a 76 frame or somethin and throw your body, motor etc on it. Theres gotta be someway to screw the system. There always is

11. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Theres gotta be someway to screw the system. There always is

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there is. You just need to register it in another state. Find a friend or relative and make plans to setup a second residence where they live. Then just register the truck there. Even in California, they can't forbid you from having two legal residences.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Move to Michigan!

But seriously, my roomate is from indiana and he made his K5 Blazer register under like 11,000 lb truck so thats how he dodged smog stuff. Check that out.

13. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Theres gotta be someway to screw the system. There always is

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there is. You just need to register it in another state. Find a friend or relative and make plans to setup a second residence where they live. Then just register the truck there. Even in California, they can't forbid you from having two legal residences.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT IDEA!! I have in-laws in S.Carolina.

What happends if I get pulled over in California with S.C plates?
    Can I register it through the internet? <--that be tooo easy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm not saying this out loud but find VIN numbers off an older truck thats smog exempt and re-registart the truck not as an 83 but as a 76-78 with a new front clip /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    What year is the smog exempt up to? It only goes back 24-25 years right? 2003-25 --->1978

15. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Great webpage jjlaughner!

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Great webpage jjlaughner!

[/ QUOTE ]

oh thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I forgot to take that link off... I'm in the process of revamping... Luckly its pointed to the truck folder otherwise most of the links onthe main page dont work just yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

A Few Suggestions:

1) I agree with ditching the new truck. Lose money on it if you have to. Move into a cheaper neighborhood. I did all of this 2 years ago and even though I'm unemployed, I have very little debt. One car payment about $300 and house payment is about $500. 2 years ago I was paying $1250 rent and making $1000 per month payments on 3 car loans. I don't regret any of it!!!

2) Some good ideas already on the smog situation. Another I've heard, state-specific but not sure which ones, is that if you register it as a larger Gross Vehicle Weight Truck, it will cost more to register but will be exempt from the smog laws. You can also in some states spend $x.xx on it to 'try' to get it smogged, and if it still doesn't pass they will give you a 'Free Pass' because some states won't force you to junk it if it can't pass the smog test. Pricey though. The incident I'm talking about cost about $1000.

3) You will forever regret selling your K5. I swear to you, you will regret it.

4) Registration Schmegistration... Drive the damned thing anyways... Keep it insured... How much can a ticket cost for not having up to date registration???

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Good Luck. Keep the Truck. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

18. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Many great ideas from everyone! Thank you guys, I really appreciate it!
    I am not going to sell the truck, I am going to pursue some of the ideas you guys gave me. I will let you know what happends! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

your right SLYDOG,never,wait NEVER SELL YOUR TOYS,unless it's for your your family.you never get them back. i had a 86 honda 250r three wheeler i bought new,i raced motocross with it and rode it 6 days a week.(my MRA # was 331). anyway i got a new truck and the ins. was to much.so i sold the ATV,paid the ins. and one month later the ins. was due again. i still needed money AND didn't have my toy.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifIDIOT. i've had my blazer for 14 years and needed money bad a few times(not no $100.00 sh*t),$2000.00 for one time i ran a car over /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.giffind another way for the loot. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I agree with boggerless. If something ever happended to where I dont have my burby anymore, I would be very heartbroken, maybe even cry. I remember back in 1990 when I was 8 years old walking out to see my dads new truck slowly walking around it with my mouth open in awe rubbing my hand against the new paint. Its definitly a part of me.