Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting new pushrods, do I need special rods?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Aug 3, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay I'm changing the cam in my motor, going from roller cam to hydraulic, I know that's crazy and stupid but it's too late for me now. Are all pushrods created equal or do I need to get good ones? And if so, who makes the best or at least good ones? Also, I see that they have them in different sizes. Ie, stock length, +.100", +.160", etc. What size do I need for Vortec heads with a hydraulic cam? And are there any other parts I need to get to go along with new pushrods? Thanks

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Not all push rods are the same. I have a set of Manley chrome moly's in my 2wd truck and they have worked fine. You may have to get a different legnth since you are changing from the roller setup. If your heads have a stock valve spring then you probably wouldn't need the extra stregnth of the chrome moly rod. I don't know what legnth you would need, but maybe someone here has gone thru what you are doing and they will know.

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

You'll need shorter push rods.
    Jim

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Hes going from a roller, that the lifters stick above the lifter bores, to a hyd. flat tappet cam that has the lifters in the bore. The ones he has now are too short, He dont need shorter for sure.

Besides we discussed this in P/M and got it handled. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

OOPS /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Jim

6. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

u will need longer ones for sure. COMP CAMS say the roler pushrod is 0.600 SHORTER than the flat tappet ones.
    Try using a stock ones to see if it fit(flat tapet ).
    the only way to be sure is to get a length checking pushrod.
    I would barrow a old one from a freind or junk ward to check it out (if u dont have any)

One more thing remember to get the correct timing spocket,
    they wont interchange,u will need a older timing chain model, for flat tappet cam .