Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting New Tires For My Truck, I Really Need Some Help Here!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue Goose, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Blue Goose

Blue Goose Registered Member

Okay, this is now the second time I have to type this, being as the post didn't work earlier so here I go.

I own a 1984 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 4 x 4. It has a 10 bolt rear-end with 3.08 gears. It has a 700R4 transmission, and a new 350 motor. It got 10 MPG when I had the original 305 motor in it, and since I put in a new 350 motor I now get 14 MPG, which I am happy with. I just repainted it and when I had it all stripped I put on a 2 inch block lift. It has little whimpy 235/75 tires on it.

I am going to put on either BF Goodrich A/T's or BF Goodrich Land Terrains. Which tire do you believe is better? I use this as my daily driver, a lot of highway miles, and a lot of miles on gravel roads. I do a lot of hunting with my truck, and it also puts on a lot of miles on ice, and not only icy roads, but icy lakes, being as I am big into ice fishing. So which tire do you believe would be the best for me?

now that I got that out of the way, here comes the big question, what size of tire should I put on my pickup. Keep in mind I have a 2 inch lift, would I could take off if I needed too, and I have little tires on it. I am trying to keep my gas mileage the same, if not better, and I would like to experience the same power, not a loss in power as is usually accustomed to bigger tires. I would rather give up power then gas mileage.

The tires I have on now are 235/75s and I was thinking about maybe putting on 30 x 9.5s, or even putting on 31 x 10.5s. Would I experience a big loss in MPG if I went to these tires with my 3.08 gears? or would I be better off going with a smaller tire, and then just losing my 2 inch lift to make the tires fill out better. I am kind of stuck here, I'm only 18 so I don't know much about this. so heres what I am thinking, any one of these combos

2 inch lift-30x9.5s in either A/Ts or Land Terrains
    2 inch lift-31x10.5s in either A/Ts or Land Terrains

no lift-30X9.5s in either A/Ts or Land Terrains
    no lift-whatever tire size is just smaller than 30x9.5s in either A/Ts or Land Terrains

I also have the stock rims on this truck, which are 15 x 7s.

thanks for the help.

2. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

hi, any increase in tire size will cause some power loss without adjusting the gear ratio. Now, the loss may be minimal with a small increase in tire size, but from what i know, you will deffinately not gain any mpg's by increasing your tire size.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would go with 31x10.50 BFG A/T's... very good all around tire and it will wear well if you take care of it....I got 40k miles each out of 2 sets of A/T's.... they will fit fine on your rims as well

You can also look around for a set of 3.73 gears in a set of axles or a wrecked truck.... its a factory ratio and would be perfect for where you wan't to be right now

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

fyi for ya. 30x9.5x15 tire is 1/4" taller and wider than 235/75/15 tires. get the 31 best look for the truck.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

33 10.5 15's pr 16's.
    no lift. they will fit. or a metric equivelant to a 32 inch tire. around a 295-75-16.
    Grant

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I put 31x10.5s on my 83 half ton 4x4, i didnt notice any power lose. I think my mileage may of acually increased a MPG or 2 also. I could pull 22 with the turboed 6.2 in it if i got out on the highway.

7. Blue Goose

Drey what gears do you have in your rearend on your 83?

8. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Here is a 4 inch lift with 31x10.50 on a 15 inch rim. I am running a 3.08 rear and power is fine. im looking for 33's now. a 33x10.50 fits just fine on a stock stance truck. as thats what was on there before the lift

[​IMG]

9. Blue Goose

MT Chevy what do you get for gas mileage? that's a big concern for me, with gas prices being the price they are now.

I am looking into te 31 x 10.5s now.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My 87 gets 13 on the highway and 10 around town. It is injected but also has 170,000 miles on it. Identical to your set up otherwise 3.08s 31x10.50s and 700r4.

Ira

11. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i probably get 13 in town right now, fairly new 350 with 4spd trans

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

With 3.08 gears you'll be hating life with anything bigger than a 31, but like someone said the 30 will be no bigger than the 235/75.

The 31's will be a 3.5% increase in size over the 235's, effectively reducing your gear ratio to about a 2.97:1 instead of a 3.08:1. This should still be OK for you, but you will probably notice a decrease in fuel mileage by a simliar amount.

Mike

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be honest, I'd drop the lift and go with bigger tires. The lift isn't helping your fuel economy, and a pair of the 33x10.5R15's mentioned will only raise the truck 1.5" over 30" tall tires, without needing a lift.

I know you've got 3.08's, that really is going to hurt for acceleration, but IMO that's going to be like going from 3.08's to 3.42 or similar...you will notice it, but not nearly like you'd notice the difference between 3.08's and 3.73's. In the future, you could always re-axle the truck as you get funds. Anything better than 3.08 is not that tough to find, and not that expensive.

The tire width on the 33's is equivalent to the 31's considered, so that will have no bearing on how it handles. The BFG AT's have pretty stiff sidewalls IMO, and seem to corner good, which means pretty good stability for the added sidewall.

I've yet to air down my AT's in snow/ice, but I am going to try this year. In light snow they work great, but deep stuff or ice, they leave some to be desired. That's an AT tire for you. Ice is going to be iffy no matter what. Still, the AT has more contact than an MT.

I don't know if BFG has increased the tires available in 33x10.5R15, it used to be only AT and MT. My AT's so far are wearing excellent.

14. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I am very surprised you only got 40K miles out of your BFG A/T's. I just put a new set of 265/75/16's on my 98. This is my third set, the last set I got 95K miles out of them (and that was with worn TRE's which wore the fronts out quicker during the last couple of months), the previous set I think I got around 75K, but had bad ball joints, idler arm and TRE's near the end of the set which wore them out real fast.

15. Blue Goose

so dyeager535 you would suggest going with 33 inch tires and no lift?

Do you think losing my lift would help increase gas mileage? and does a 2 inch block lift really have any advantage? it just looks better right?

16. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

#1----buy a moped :D

#2----I'd go 31's and keep the lift. A 33" tire will cost more to buy, plus hurt your mpg.

ps A skinney tire has less rolling resistance, therefore, a 31x10.5 will roll easier than a 33X12.5 and so on. To squeeze every bit out of your tires, run 40 psi or better in them.

17. Blue Goose

I'm gonna bump this to the top here, because I am still undecided on what to do for tires.