Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting nice, deep sound from your truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PetaKane, Jul 5, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've got Dynomax headers, dual Magnaflow mufflers, and my truck just sounds so weak. I like the nice, deep rumble that you hear coming from hotrods. How much does your motor have to do with the way your truck sounds? I am going to get my crate motor installed later this year. Do low compression motors sound different than high comp? Does the camshaft have anything to do with sound? It's not that it's just sound I'm going for, I like performance first and foremost. But most high performance vehicles sound really good, meanwhile mine sounds like a stock Toyota Tacoma.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Flowmaster makes a cure for that but your catalytic converter might be stifling the sound a bit too. Lower compression and higher compression engines do sound different, the camshaft can change the sound a bit too.

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Well, no cats. I was gonna go Flowmasters, but alot of people on here recommended Magnaflows. I just went with what I could get the cheapest. Maybe I screwed up. People are always telling me how mean my truck looks, then I start it up and alot of people kinda smirk. Ya know what a truck sounds like with straight headers when it's idling? That's what I want mine to sound like.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You want a low rumble??! I have cutouts, so basically I just have cats(8" long) and pipes that dump just before the axle. No mufflers. The cats make the sound more deep as compared to just open headers. BTW I have a stock 350.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

if you want a rumbel.. get a 4 inch pipe on the end of your exhaust.. only needs to be about 15 inches long.. NICE low rumble...

6. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

I think the cam does have something to do with it. I have a RV cam in my 462ci and it lobe's very well. I also run Dynomax headers to 3 chamber Flowmasters and then to turn downs right before the rear axle. My truck shakes the ground but has that deep rumble too, which the cam is responsible for. Seems to me what you need is a good cam, NO cadilac, and Flowmasters.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Flowmaster..and a high flow cat. Also add some 3" tips. There you go!

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've got a Magnaflow hi-flow cat and Flowmaster 1 chamber. It's loud.