Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting out of a stuck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quack_Addict, May 14, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I had two (not just one) incidents out wheeling my ZR2 this past weekend... one involved a swamp and almost rolling my truck, the other a huge sandy hill and getting high-centered at the crest.

I was wondering how you guys get out of a stuck. For the first incident (swamp) we were out alone and took a corner too fast on gravel and slid off the road slightly. The rear driver's side tire was about 12" off the road. I had to hike to a nearby house and borrow a 4x4 tractor from a very nice lady to pull myself out. A strap wouldn't work - I needed some shock to jolt it otherwise the tires on the tractor would just spin in the gravel. A 10' length of chain I carry did the trick and a bit of a running start with the tractor yanked the truck out.

For the second stuck, we were climbing a big sand hill, probably 60' high. I high-marked it in 2wd, 4hi, but couldn't get to the top. A running start in 4lo and a quick double-shift part way up got me to the crest, but momentum carried the front tires over the top and I high-centered. There had been several other people out wheeling in the pit earlier, but by the time we got stuck, everyone was long gone except for one 2wd truck. Daisy chaining 2-20' straps and about 20' of chain together still wasn't long enough to get down the hill to where the 2wd could yank me from the hard pack gravel at the base. My friend and I dug and dug trying to get out, almost got unstuck ourselves twice, then cashed in our hope about the time it got dark. After walking about 3 of the 7 miles back to my friend's cabin in the dark, a guy in a Chevy 4x4 stopped and helped us out. The added 2 of his 20' chains to the end of my tow line and yanked my truck out.

Anyway, this all got me thinking... the first time a chain worked the best and the "rubber" straps were pretty useless. In the second instance, we had my 2 20' straps and a bunch of chain which worked perfect in that case. Just curious... how have you guys rigged to get out of a stuck and what have you found to be the best?

I'll see if I can post some pics...

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

3. Quack_Addict

Here's the pictures... After digging for about 3 hours unsuccessfully and vacuuming about 1/2 gallon of sand out of the carpet after getting home, a valuable lesson was learned... don't wheel alone (without another truck present).

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dan_leschuk/lst?.dir=/4-wheeling>Sand Hill Pics</a>

4. Quack_Addict

Ouch! That's the problem with rubber band straps! I had something similar happen one time pulling out a stump back when I was young and stupid (after seeing those pics you guys are probably saying "Back when???") I was trying to pull a stump out. I wrapped a chain around the stump base, hooked that to a strap, hooked the strap to a front tow hook. I betcha can see where I'm going. I had to repaint the hood and replace the windshield.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The first rule of thumb is don't go fourwheeling alone.

Concerning your comment about using a chain to give the truck a jolt to pull it out because a strap wouldn't do it seems just the opposite of what I have always experienced. The rubber band effect of the strap should actually make it easier to pull a stuck vehicle out, but it doesn't try to rip the frame in half. We do not allow chains to be used for tugging on vehicles in our club because they have a higher chance of breaking and flying through the windshield when yanking hard on them.

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

dunno, the only time i got stuck, i got out by taking the emergency break off. sometimes i get so excited i forget the litle things! However, several of my buddies have gotten their rides completely submerged in all sorts of stuff. The best way we have to pull them out is a whinch and their own power.

7. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I always use my strap, it's 4" wide and about 30' long. It doesn't have the rubber band effect, I always carry a 50' piece of chain with me for emergency's only, I've seen several instances where a chain failed and windows have been broken out and trucks scarred. Not to mention a strap is much lighter and easier to handle.

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

my DAD carries 100 ft of unwound 3/8ths winch cable in the bed of his 2wd short bed....works well in about any situation...lightweight too. If its too long its easy to double up....

9. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Seems to me that a 30' strap, unless it were metal, would have at least some element of stretch... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how they work?
    Just curious.

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I cant believe you havnt gotten a better response yet!

Never use chains to jerk. Period. They break and cause serious damage. The yank/rubberband what ever you want to call them are the BEST to use. By FAR. That strethcing absorbes the shock of the yank and actually adds to the strength of the pull. Just make sure you keep them in good shape. And dont use the tow straps witht he hooks, they are the wrong kind.

Damn, chains... no good for yanking. Maybe a nice steady pull, but NEVER yank.

Take this from someone who goes mudding A LOT and gets pulled out A LOT and does A LOT of pulling out. You can get a good 10-15 foot run and full throttle pull someone out with a good yank strap and not do damage.

Chains... man dangerous. Please dont let me read that a trailer ball was sued. :-) More dangerous.

Just use a nice yank strap and do gentle jerks with continues pulling when the strap gets tight. Do it a little harder until the vehicle comes out.

Ken H.

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Problem with the straps?!?!? Imagine if it was all chain that broke. DAMAGE.

Ken H.

12. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Just curious... how have you guys rigged to get out of a stuck and what have you found to be the best?

<hr></blockquote>

I don't think there is a 'best' method, depends on the stuck. As stated above, don't use chains to jerk a vehicle, EVER. That's not what they are designed for. Use a quality snatch strap with loops on the end, not hooks.

As far as the comment on the picture HarryH3 posted, I disagree. While I don't know the story behind the picture, just looking at makes me think the tow point or d-ring on the other vehicle failed. You can still see the ring on the end of the strap. Was it the strap that penetrated the head rest and windshield? Doubtful, it would the be metal projectile on the end of the strap.

You already figured out one of the rules, don't go out alone. Another is be prepared. I would say at minimum have a strap (or two, or three), shovel, and hi-lift (or similiar jack). Between the jack and the shovel you may have gotten yourself out of that sand. Up here we typically use a winch to/from another vehicle to get someone out, though that's not always possible.

13. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

I think there are different materials that can be used. Or else different way of making the strap. Some are designed to stretch, some aren't.

A strap labled as a 'tree saver' for example will only stretch like 1%. While a snatch strap will stretch 5-10%. At least that's my understanding, maybe someone could quantify it better.

14. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I'm just wondering where you were planning on going after you got to the top of the hill. lol It looks like all that is on the other side is trees and brush. My best method to keep you from getting stuck is to get a K5 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

One tip, whatever you have to use, you can put you hood up to prevent what happened in the picture. OR Put you jacket or blanket over the cable/strap to slow it down if it breaks.---Especially important is using a winch cable!

16. MY 30K procomp works great and stratches pretty nice.
    i bet none of you would imagine seeing this getting pulled out http://community.webshots.com/album/35747590SMePji i would have done it myself, my my truck broke before this happened /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Not all of them stretch, like one of the other guys said, some are designed to stretch and some are not. I can see the benefit of having one that does have some stretch to it, but there has never been an occasion where my strap wouldn't handle any job that I needed it to do.

18. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

Another alternative to a jacket or floormat is one or more of those ankle weigths that buckle or velcro around the legs for walking/running excercises. Wrap one around the strap. They're cheap enough, weigh more than a jacket to help stop a break away strap.

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure any strap is going to stretch to a certain degree. Just remember that it's not like a 30' strap is going stretch another 5', the amount of actual stretch is pretty small and would be hard to notice just by looking at it but they do all stretch.

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

my 6" x 30' strap will stretch when I hook up to another big rig and pull him out. Pull 24 tons and it stretchs.