Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting out top hinge pin?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnnieg, Jun 10, 2004.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

I'm going to replace my pins and bushings to restore door alignment and need to know how to go about this. Any helpful hints would be nice including how to get the top pin out preferably without taking off the door. I have power everything so it woud be a PITA.

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

To do it easily you need two people, one of them willing to hold a good chunk of the weight of the door while you do the work =). tap the pin from the bottom, then using a screwdriver/prybar, pry it up as far as you can. I usually get a piece of wood or steel out, and keep prying. once the pins about 1/3-1/2 out, you can just pull it up and out, as your buddy wiggles the door up and down (or if he's real good, hold the door exactly where it unloads the upper pin).

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how to get the top pin out preferably without taking off the door

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going to happen bud. Sorry. You'd have to be able to get to the pin to cut it and drive it out with a long punch or something. The design of the hinge itself doesn't allow for that.

Here is what I did in my '84 that I had. I had a garage so it made it easier to do. I too didn't want to mess with the wiring harness so here is what I did. I opened the door and rolled down the window. I used 2 tie down straps to loop through the top of the door and hung them from a stud in the garage. I marked the location of the hinge on the door with white out (so it'll wash off). Then I removed the bolts holding the hinge on the door. This gave me enough room to get in with my grinder to cut the pins and drive them out w/out having to remove the wiring harness. From there it was pretty quick and easy. I replaced the pins and bushings. Then realigned the door to the hinge position, and bolted it all back together. I took me about an hour total to do it that way.

Anyway, that is what worked for me. If you have some way to hold the door and reposition it, then removing the bolts is no biggie.