Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Pinion Bearing(s)/Seal(s) replaced .... how many and how much?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Hey guys (n gals),

I'm heading out to New Mexico come this Sunday for a ski trip, and need to replace the pinion bearing before I go. It's leaking and causing some vibration too. I replaced the U-joints, and after that, the pinion seemed to get worse.

Anyway, I don't have time this week to get under it and do it myself, so I'm going to get a shop to do it while I'm at work. What do you guys think a fair price is for something like this? It's a 14B FF.

I was thinking around $200 or so, but just had a guy quote me $300 - $350?? Is this what I can expect to pay to have someone do it?

Thanks for any input,

Thomas.

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Re: Getting Pinion Bearing/Seal replaced ..... fair price?

The more I look into this, the more confused I get ....

Is there just one pinion bearing, or are there multiple? One Shop told me that there are multiple bearings, seals, and races that need to be replaced together, and it will cost around $500 to do it.

Just looking for some input from some people who have experience with differentials ......

Thanks,

Thomas.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Re: Getting Pinion Bearing/Seal replaced ..... fair price?

Basiacally there are a few different bearings from what I have heard on the 14B FF's(Inner, outer, and a helper bearing? I know Steve Fox delt with this a while ago), but not sure cause haven't been into a 14BFF that deep. Basically the bigges concern is with new races and bearings you need to reset the pinion depth. That is usually the reason for the large labor cost involved. I would personal;ly just say the heck with it and get the differential gone through... get the carrier bearings and other stuff done and be done with the beast for about the same labor cost and a few extra bucks for misc. parts. Most shops around here will do it for about 300-400 labor. Some of the smaller time guys will set them up for 250, but that still leaves the bearings and or kit.