Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting pretty discouraged... input please...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Apr 14, 2000.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

ok, as some know i am working on a 85.. getting pretty discouraged with all the rust, its still solid, but im picky. getting my 358 is turning into a hassle.. should i just cut my losses and keep my 2wd s10, lift that and put baja tires on it? no rust on the s10... its s 95

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

2. ziagong

ziagong Registered Member

85Blaze, I hate when no one replys to my posts. I think you should do whatever it takes to fix the 4x4 or get a different 4x to fix. I sold my Jeep and went with a 2wd truck, and for 2 years I was depressed until I could get a 72 Blazer. Belive me IMO - you can get rid of the 4 wheeler, but you'll regret it every time you see mud, or go camping.

1972 K5 CST Blazer - 350V8 17x40x15
    Made for Mud!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I totally agree. When I first bought my 84, I spent $3500 in the first two years ironing out the bugs and fixing all the frustrating little secrets the previous owner forgot to pass on to me. There were many times I was ready to throw in the towel, and it wasn't only because of the money. It seemed that every time I fixed something, something else would break. And then there was that damn pesky vapor lock because of the worn cam lobe.............

Anyhow, there will always be problems and challenges and you'll always be spending money on your ride, no matter WHAT you drive. So my attitude is you may as well own a vehicle you love, because you'll be happier spending money and working on your Blazer than you will be doing the same to a vehicle you're not in love with.

Keep your chin up!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with Canmore totally. I spent a little more for my '82 K5 cause the interior and body was in such good shape for that year, but in the first 3 months I had to get the tranny rebuilt and get a new carb, fuel pump and gas tank. It was depressing for a while. Now it runs pretty good for what it's got in it and I put a kickin' stereo in it and I love it more and more each day. Nowadays I get depressed thinking about all the stuff I want to buy for it and can't have cause I got bills and stuff. Oh well, I can work on what I want a bit at a time. Next up is seats and wheels.

Phil
    82K5

5. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I too have a 85 blazer. Had it from day one. Wouldn't trade it for anything. My spouse has a 99 dodge 3/4 ton, quad cab, diesel 4x4 and yes it's fun...but it aint my blazer! The long wheel base and street tires just don't get it off road. My spouse as decided to bury me in the k5 when the time comes. She figures I'll have it 'till then (and I probably will...).

Parts are everywhere and for the most part, cheap. This site has tons of information on it with great folks willing to provide guidance and information, Mr. buttman not withstanding :-/

So, dont give up. These things are GREAT!

6. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

as the name implies, i recently "finished" my project. when i began i had no idea what i was getting into. now that i can see where all the hard work went to, i am proud to say i did not give up. it can get pretty damn discouraging when you try to fix everything at once, but tackeling one project at a time is the way i had to do it. anyone that knows me will tell you that patience is not something i possess. keep at it, doing your best along the way. it will pay off.

a.k.a. "money pit"

7. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey , don't be discouraged it will be worth it in the end . I have a 83 with a Diesel .First thing this year the injecter pump went cost $400.00 . The interior was ratty cost $800.00 The winshield was cracked $ 200.00 . Times spent with it ; Priceless . It's been alot of fun and far cheaper than getting rid of it and buying something else . You don't know how many times I've talked about sending mine down the road . The problem is it is too much fun to drive and nothing out there I'm interested in . Hang in there it will be worth it .

8. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

well getting more in the mood! I got my new rocker, and almost all the new floor patches made and tack'd on over the weekend. this week i should have the new rear quater panels on and i already have 2 new doors and fenders... RUST SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to make some more floor work, on cross member is rusted bad. but it is looking on the up side for now :) Thanks

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

9. You guys make me want to cry...seriously, I have wanted to sell mine back to the guy that lied to me in the first place, but everytime I fix something or put something new on it I feel like it is really mine. When it is all said and done, the Blazer will truly be mine!!

And again thanks to all here on this board who helped me keep my head up!!

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

10. BAMA74K5

BAMA74K5 Registered Member

I feel your pain. I am fixing up a '74 Blazer and it also has a good bit of rust on it. I have found out that the best way to do this is to deal with one thing at a time. If you try to fix to many things at one time, you will get discouraged. All of the hard work will pay off in the long run. Keep with it.