Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting ready for moab ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eds77k5, Dec 24, 2001.

1. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

the wife has given the ok and i can get the time off from work and a 900 mile road trip would be good for the heart and soul. i have read the past posts of what people carry as off road gear so i dont need that. what i plan on doing is, if the money holds out, is change parts like: starter, alternator, fuel pump, ect. and carry the old ones as spares, also axle shafts, my wife is disabled and not well, so i dont want to break down anywhere, for very long at least, i will be stock, but the good lord willing, i will be there, any advise on the minimum i would need for this trip would be helpful, kind of steer me in the right direction, i think they outlawed carrying a gas can on the back, is it safe to carry inside? any thoughts would be appreciated-thanks

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

August + Moab = sweltering heat. Looks like you run an automatic so other than what you suggested I would say add an external tranny cooler and even maybe a tranny temp gauge. If you are stock that would be your weak link is overheating it on an obstacle. Moab will find every weak part on your truck and punish it to the max. My first three trips something broke everytime. Thing is you dont even seem to mind breaking there. The place is quite peaceful.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

out lawed gas cans on back of trucks?

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Standerd stuff.
    Pre-trip check:
    Check the drive-line and related U-joints, change one out in the "ruff" to see what you'll need to bring with you to get the job done. (-Leave the bench vise at home-) Check fron axle U-joints, and pull the front axle-shafts out, and bring those tools with you, while your there, check the ball-joints too. Check and change the rear diff fluid, pull the shafts out and check for pitting around the machined surfaces for the outer bearings, also, check the ring and pinion, spider gears etc. Check and change seals as needed.

The list is pretty long, ...Maybe do a search for "trips" or something...

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC at 6,000 RPMs:
    2- The piston travels from O to 60 MPH to 0 in just .005 of a sec. and in just 7 inches.

5. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, yes, august will be hot, hope to have some kind of soft top, will definately have to put in trans cooler, dont really know how the previous owner drove this rig but will change a lot of parts just to be safe-thanks

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now