Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting ready for summer & paint ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rrent, Mar 3, 2002.

1. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Got a new radiator; waterpump; belts; and hoses on. I have my new/used top back from the upholstery shop after having new zippers put in the back. As is so many times the case, we are having the coldest weather all winter in central Texas - but summer will be here soon.

Now for the paint question: I'm thinking about spraying on a coat of the original "baby poop" yellow - I think the glove box sticker (or I've read somewhere) calls it Ochre. Any idea what I should ask for at the paint shop? I picked up a set of original CST woodgrain trim for the sides and want a factory look color. So not Corvette or school bus yellow for me.

2. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

Someone scanned and posted a couple pages from a paint-chip book to 67-72chevytrucks.com a while ago. Mine was originally ochre (aka baby poop yellow) too so I made a note of the paint number...looked like Chevy color code 511 for 71-72. No guarantee the book was correct, but that's what it listed, hope it helps. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good place to start - I have a '72 brochure - it shows a "wheatland yellow" which looks nothing like my truck and no numbers at all. Between this number and having my truck with me at the paint shop - I have great hopes I can find a match. - thanks for the info

4. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

I recently had my K5 repainted the original "Ochre" yellow. Just read the color code off of the build sheet in your glove box. The shop I went to input this code into their color matching system computer, and it spit out the formula to dupplicate it by mixing several different pigments. After I had the truck painted, I requested about a liter of the special paint mix just in case I needed to repaint a section later. This way it would match if the original paint job doesn't fade too much.

If you need that color code, let me know and I will look mine up.