Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting ready for winter!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by baldamish, Oct 1, 2006.

1. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

Well, with winter coming I'm scrambling trying to cut the heating bills! Last year the final fill of the fuel oil tank was $620:doah: , and that will only last a month and a half!
    So, i bought a cast iron pot belly stove that will go in the kitchen, and to be sure the heat from the stove makes it through the house, I tore out the wall between the kitchen and living/dining room. While doing so, I opened up the exterior wall and noticed there is no insulation in the walls!! Holy crap! Who builds a house in Ohio with no freaking insulation? So i replaced the drywall that will be behind the potbelly with the fire resistant drywall, and bought some pink r-19. As far as the rest of the house goes, I plan on using blown insulation in all the exterior walls, and since the walls aren't drywall (fiberboard, cardboard kinda stuff), I'm going to just get me a whole saw and blow it in from the interior of the house, then just put the holes back in using duck tape. That will only be temporary as I plan on installing 1/4" drywall over all of the interior walls in the house as it is! So, I'm going to spend a bit of money to get ready, but I'm hoping the money saved will be considerable! What are all of you doing to get ready?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sounds like You have a good plan thus far. I Bought My house this last spring so I have never had to use the heat yet. I have three gas furnace's through out the house and I assume they will heat it quite well and I will probably get away with running just one. I looked in the attic and the insulation looks really good, just not sure whats in the walls. I do plan on re-rocking the walls someday since I want to open some walls and make a few changes, so I'll address the insulation in the walls then if they need it.
    My main plan is to put insulation in the eves of the attic (if that makes since) that way the attic is totally insulated top and bottom and then put down a floor and sheet rock the rest of it. Then I want to install a new HVAC system in the attic and run duct work to each room. I figure it will be out of site and also give Me some nice extra storage room. I might even install the hot water heater up there to clear up some room in the laundry room for shelving.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Blankets and wool socks dood,we refuse to even try and heat 3700 sq. ft. of house...

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

You forgot whiskey!!!!!!!!!

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well thats a given...:D

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have a wood burning boiler, started hauling wood today, The house is built into a hill, so it does not take much to heat it, I usually have it at 75 degrees in the house when I am home.

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Do not put the water heater up there. If it leaks, or blows out, you've got one hell of a mess on your hands.
    Jimbo

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

They have pans for doing just that. I have seen and put several hot water tanks in attics

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Keep in mind that if you can bring fresh air directly into the stove,
    it will help keep it from drawing the air from inside the house and creating
    bigger drafts in rooms and cooling them down.
    I've done a entire 5000 sq. ft. house that was heated from a wood burning boiler. It worked great but what a PITA to stoke it all the time (no back up heating source) The guy worked for the forest service so he got his wood for free but still. I prefer in-floor radiant heat myself. I miss my old house with it, now I have scorched air.

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Utilities are figured into the rent of my appt. so its a set rate each month....im thinkin 65-70 all winter long...

sure is gonna beat last winter in the house I was renting. I had to cover the heat bill myself. Plastic over all the windows. I actaully blocked off all the heat to the empty bedroom. Only time the house was above 55 was when I was sick for two days. My bedroom, where my computer was also was nicer though. Id close the door and turn the space heater on. It would get about 60 - 65 in there. Then I cheaped out of that and started lighting a bunch of candles to see how much heat they would provide...ya im a tight ass when I need to be

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I live in dorms and pay wayyyy too much to be living in a tiny room with another guy. Therefore, we leave the window wide open when we're not around just to stick it to the man. :doah: