Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting ready for winter?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Danno, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

This will be my first winter in Colorado, and I was wondering if anyone had some good tips for me regarding getting my truck ready for winter.

I know I'll probably need some fuel anti-freeze additives, but what about my truck's cooling system? Will I need to cover the front of my radiator? What about my auto trans... Will it be OK if I get an external tranny cooler?

The one thing I've gotta fix soon is my heater controls. I get tons of heat to the cab, but the selector for where the hot air goes doesn't seem to be working. I don't get any hot air out of my defrost, and it's always coming out from the floor vents and partially from the dash vents. How hard is it to fix that?

My K5 is my daily driver, and it'll need new tires in the near future. Any recommendations? I don't care about road noise, and I have 31"x10.5" tires right now.

Thanks!!!

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Do you have a block heater? If not get one, even if you don't have electrical access all the time. It could save you if it's real bad or if you have a weak link (bad glowplugs, weak batteries, extreme temp). Next insure your fuel filter is good and you know how to drain water from it. Purchase some Stanadyne fuel Anti-gel or equivalent. Use it if temps dip REAL low (< 0' F) or if you get fuel from a warmer area occasionally. The only times I've had fuel gel is when I lived in northern NH and bought some fuel 100 miles south in MA. Make sure your batteries/charging system is up to snuff.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

Dannyo, I agree w/ DieselDan. Get and use a block heater, it'll save wear & tear on the starting system. Make sure all glow plugs are working properly, And use the Performance formula from Stanadyne: it's got the anti-gell and other chemicals that really help out.As for your heater controls, on my Sub they're vacumm controlled. Ther's a little round chingadera on the passenger side of the firewall, by the heater core/ac cluster, make sure you're getting vacumm to it, then write back.

4. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I've got a block heater, but I live in an apartment, so I've got no place to plug it in. That sucks.

Just got new Interstate batteries, 950CCA each, and I believe the rest of my charging system is doing good.

I might go out tonight and beat on that heater control issue... I'll get back to you on what I find.

Thanks for your input, guys!

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have a block heater but cant use it cause where I live, didnt have too much of a problem last year though I just let the glow plugs cycle longer and it took a little more cranking.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem. The place I lived I was about 200 ft away from my Diesel. I asked the apt complex if they minded I run that much cord. They said it was alright. From my door to my Blazer waqs 200 ft....JUST 200 ft. Plugging it in helps alot!!
    Agree on the Standyne formula....use it all the time....it helps

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

7. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I doubt my apartment complex will be as nice as yours... My apartment doesn't face the parking lot, so I'd have to run the cord over some stairs and sidewalks. I'm less than 100' away, which is a real bitch.

I'll have to check into getting some of that Standyne additive... Does NAPA carry that stuff?

Thanks for all the suggestions and input, fellas! I really appreciate it... I'm looking forward to this winter! :-D

8. OFFRDK5

I ran mine over steps and sidewalks...
    Ask em...see what they say. Explain to them that if it is not plugged in the vehicle will not run and it will sit....or if you try to start it and it has not been plugged in it "might" explode!!!

SK-15

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I used to go the same thing when I lived in a condo with a VW diesel. I just use the "better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission" concept. Less chance of them saying no. Even if you don't plug it in all the time, it WILL save your bacon when it gets REAL cold or something in the truck isn't up to snuff.
    Oh, eyeball those battery cables and starter connection; sucks lying in the snow under the truck!

10. OFFRDK5

Oh...so you have had the same problem Dan? Mine went at about -30 and windchills at I don't know. Took out the starter and both batteries. Never saw batteries melt like that before!!

SK-15

11. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i had the same problem with my heater controls . The vacuum line from the vacuum pump was pinched in two in one spot and pinched in another. I bypassed the hoses and ran a newline form the pump and plugged it into the line that comes off that actuater by the right kick panel. If you have any questions I can explain further.i now have defrost and vents

12. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Thanks, 6.2 Man! I've been working extra hours since I originally posted this, so I haven't had any time to mess with my heater controls. I'm going to be investigating this soon, hopefully!

I guess I'll ask the apartment complex about the extension cord issue. They're real nazis, though, so I seriously doubt this will happen. I've got an Eco-Pass, so if my truck can't start when it gets hella cold, I'll just take the bus. I can also work from home... Hrm... :D

13. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

For your defroster problems, I'm almost 100% sure I know what it is. The little plastic clip that connects the acuator rod to the defroster/heater flap is broken. If you look under your glove box, you'll see a tube that comes out and goes up, if you take that off, you'll see the little plastic clip that I bet is broken. HOpe this helps and if you don't understand where it is, PM me and I'll help ya out.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

14. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was wrong Danno about the hose . It is a black one with a gray strip that feeds the vacuum for the controls .I patched into that one with vacuum and everything works right !! Sorry for the confussion

15. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Well, since I haven't had a chance to crawl around my truck yet, no time wasted on my part. Thanks for the updates...

Argh. Did nothing this weekend. Bad for the truck, but great fun with the wife and kid. :-)

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

16. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Update!

Well, I crawled around my Blazer today, and didn't notice anything wrong under the dash. Started looking around the engine bay, and found an open vaccuum leak. Patched that, and now my heater controls work halfway. I think I have another leak somewhere along the way... Ugh!

For the moment, when I put my heater control on defrost, the windshield vents kick out air, and the dash vents kick out air. When I put it on heater, the floor vents kick on , the dash vents stay on, and the windshield vents put out a little bit of air. Before today, all three areas would put out the same amount of air regardless of what position the heater control was in.

Having a massive leak in my vaccuum system would probably explain why my cruise doesn't work too. Hrm.

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have to get looking for vacuum leaks on mine, the heat only comes out the dash vents. Not good to defrost the windshield.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

18. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it sucks. Can't be driving around this winter with no defroster! :-)

Well, something strange happened when I plugged that vaccuum leak today. I went for a drive, and it seemed like my engine was getting way too much fuel. The poor truck was huffin' black smoke every time I gave it the go pedal. It was driving as if it was almost flooding itself.

I guess this means that the injection pump relies on vaccuum to meter fuel? Argh... So much to learn about my new truck!

19. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Nope, the injection pump doesn't use vacume (just RPM and throttle setting). I'm betting you connected the vacume back up to the EGR. All Light Duty 6.2's came with an EGR (sits on top of the manifold, under the air filter). HD 6.2 didn't have one (that's the big difference between LD &amp; HD). I'm not really sure why you see so much more smoke with the EGR connected, mine did the same thing. I've always dealt with HD 6.2 before my Jimmy. Disconnecting it gives back some horsepower; whereas a gas motor with EGR usually runs like crap with it disconnected.

20. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Danno, look at my previos post. Your symptoms are exactly what I had with the broken plastic tab that works your defroster and heater flap. On heat, heat comes out of floor and dash vents, on defrost heat comes from dash and a little defroster vents. Check it out and I'm betting that is what is broken, Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>