Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting ready to go camp out west

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Pookster, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

east coast boy getting ready to go out west with family to do some camping and site seeing.

Anyone have any tips on getting campgrounds and what not from Cali-> seattle-> montana--> SLA, --> Yellowstone?

Any rules and regulations I should know about?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Rule number 1: Bring your WINTER clothing. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It can snow in The Rockies at any time of the year. The daytime temps can still reach well into the 70's and 80's, but be prepared for cool, if not downright cold nights. I've scraped ice off the windshield in August when camped at around 9,500 feet above sea level. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Keep the warm clothing with you during the day as well. Snow, hail, or cold rain storms can develop quickly over the mountains in the afternoons.

Keep an eye on the sky at all times. Lightning kills several people here in Colorado every summer. When you're up on top of a mountain enjoying the scenery, you become a human lightning rod. If you can hear thunder, even faintly, then you're in danger! One guy got fried here while hiking to the top of Pikes Peak a couple of summers ago. The thunderstorm wasn't even over him yet. Witnesses said that the lightning literally came sideways out of a somewhat distant storm cloud. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The Rockies are incredibly beautiful, but they can be very unforgiving...

Be VERY aware of altitude sickness! Flat landers can get extremely sick from the lack of oxygen. If you start to get severe headaches, feel nauseous, etc., (it's sorta like the worst hangover you've ever had!) then head for lower altitudes. The extra oxygen will help you feel better pretty quickly

Be careful about climbing without proper climbing gear. Most of the mountain rescues that take place in Colorado are to go up and bring down dunces that have free climbed a few hundred feet up and then can't figure out how to get back down. A few of these Darwin Award wannabees even succeed in removing themselves from the gene pool each year. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

There's a LOT of cool stuff to see out west. Just be safe and think before you do something. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Oh, I doubt I'll be doing anything that crazy- since my parents are comming along! heh. But thanks for the advice, would have never thought about lightning.

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I can now relate to the altitude thing. I was in Midland Texas last week - FLAT - but the elevation is around 2,500 feet above MSL. I live in Louisville which is around 400 feet above MSL. I had a low grade headache for two days before I got used to the elevation. Highest I've ever been (elevation wise /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) is around 6,500 in the Smokies. I envy you guys out in the mountains! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Mike

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My house is at 7,050 feet or so. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm pretty much acclimated to high altitude, but still, at 9,000 feet and above it doesn't take much exertion to have me looking for a place to rest! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone have any tips on getting campgrounds and what not from Cali->

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of campgrounds in CA along the coast and beach areas get filled up fast and in advance. I think you actually use Ticketron for beach camping. We suck ya know...

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ticketron?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Yep... And now we have this stupid resivoir that you need reservations to go to for fishing or picknicing... It's the largest in the state and is located in Hemet. Pay to get in and everything... It also sux... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You know, even in NY, its not that bad. You can fish whever you want, as long as it is not a posted "no fishing". Resevours are another thing all together however.

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Yellowstone is great. You'll need to reserve a campsite. www.nps.gov

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

To extend on HarryH3's post re: Deserts. If you're in the desert and you're not urinating at least every hour or your urine is dark in color, you are not drinking enough. It's dry enough that you'll never know if you are sweating.

Put on Sun Screen when you get out of bed. It's spendy, but I prefer "BullFrog" Use at least SPF 30 and look for the 45. Buy a new tube & toss any old stuff, it ages and quits being effective over time.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

amazingly so, not all the camp sites were booked, and we were able to roll right in that day. Sites were pretty clean overall, but boy was it chilly in the morning! I found snow on the ground in some areas!

Grand canyon, the ranger pointed me to some "unlisted" sites that had the most spetacular view of the grand canyon, the sun rise, and I even saw a rainbow. Best part, nobody else around, and it was FREE.

We got up early the next morning to go to the north rim, around 6am, and they werent even taking their usual 20 dollar collection! got in free there too!

by the time we left at 9am after taking some pictures, they had started to take money again! lol....