Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting ready to put a 4 in. lift on my 84 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by okblazer, Mar 26, 2005.

1. okblazer

okblazer Newbie

I've got an 84 K5 with a 6.2L diesel and I'm getting ready to put a 4 in lift and 33s on the thing. Does anyone have any advice before I start? I'm specificly wondering what I'm going to have to modify when I lift it. I've already hard about the steering pitman arm. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

your driveshafts should be fine. you'll probably have to extend the brakelines, and shocks. how much trimming you'll need to do depends on how you wheel.

don't do anything silly like re-use u-bolts or use blocks in the front.:blush: :D

3. stillywilly

stillywilly Newbie

I did a tuff county EZ ride lift kit that used blocks in the rear, and found that the butt end of the truck sagged a bit. I believe its from the rear leafs being 20 years old. I just ordered a 2" add-a-leaf which should compensate the difference and strengthen the springs.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Spray all your bolts/nuts you will need to remove with some PB blaster to help taking them off. Helps a lot:)

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

with the price they add to the kit for the blocks and the cost of a add-a-leaf, you should have just got new springs in the first place imo... its gonna ride like arse too....

for the original poster.. like has been said, PB the week before.. longer brake lines and shocks.. shafts should be fine...

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

PB Blaster... Great stuff. soak it as long as you can. Did you get the brackets to drop your sway bar? and the brake lines will need to be relocated or gotta get longer.

7. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i bought the 2" lift add a leaves from tuff country. they suck, they gave me about one inch of lift... and my ride is bumpier. they were not fun to put in either. for the money and hassle, go with zero rates. you can clamp the leafs easier with zero rates.

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Originally I bought the ORD sway bar disco kit, then eventually ditched them all together. I have crossover so I can't use a sway bar now anyways. I would suggest you try driving your rig without it connected and see how you like it. If you don't like it get the disco kit, it helps with the geometry problem by raising the sway bar at the axle :)

9. stillywilly

stillywilly Newbie

live you learn

I made an avoidable mistake. I went into less schwab tire center and they didn't say anything about my original leaf springs being saggy and that the blocks would suck, or maybe I wasn't listening... I'm going to start using this forum more often for advice.
    I allready ordered that 2" add-a-leaf. should I send it back? I just don't have the money to spend on new rear leafs, like I should do.

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I just put 3" TC springs up front and 4" blocks in the rear cuz my truck's butt sagged as well. I have 33's on it too. Now it sits level and looks great. Also put wheel spacers on. Looks much better.

11. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

put zero rates all around, and search for some 1" lift shackles front and rear. it will be the same price, better ride, more flex. add a leafs didnt give my stock springs 2", only gave me 1".