Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting ready to swap in a 700R4(long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Mar 14, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, Im getting closer to putting the OD tranny(2wd) in my truck and Im trying to get as much info as I can on the procedure so that there will be fewer surprises. I called up advanced adapters and know the output shaft(4wd) and called trans shop about getting it put into the trans. I'll also be getting the largest stacked plate cooler I can.

What I really want to know is how do I go about removing the trans/t-case from my truck. I have a chiltons manual and it goes over the procedure in there. It says to remove all the stuff from the trans and and discon. the strut rod, and remove the crossmember. Then unbolt the t-case from the frame bracket and unbolt the trans from the engine. Is there anything important Its missing or anything that I sould expect trouble from?

Also, how would I go about telling if the 700 has a lockup converter and if it does is there anything that I will need to get to disable it?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to disable your lockup? It increases the efficiency on the highway and decreases heat at speed...

On R&R'ing the stuff...here's a quick run-down w/ some note from experience...

Disconnect the driveshafts and drain all the fluids from the tranny and t-case. Put a jack or somehting under the oil pan to suppor the load once you remove the cross-member... Disconnect the shift linkage, strut rod, TV cable, speedo cable (from t-case), t-case shifter, any electrical conections...Then unbolt the torque converter cover and unbolt the TC form the flexplate...the remove the frame cross-member...this is where you must have the support under the oil pan so the engine doesn'e tilt rearwards...get your floor jack/tranny jack under the tranny ready to go...Leaving the t-case on will actually help you ballanc eth etranny/t-case assembly on the jack... the unbolt the bellhousing bolts from the engine...slid the whole unit back and let 'er down...JUst make sure everything is off the tranny and t-case and if you have a exhaust crossover pipe behind the t-case like I do, it might get in the way... Oh and some universal-joint sockets are awesome for removing the upper bellhousing bolts...Just take your time and it should be fine...an extra set of hand is always nice too... When I replaced my 700, I used my frineds shop and put my Blazer on a lift...I had 4 other guys helping so we were able to muscle the tranny/t-case assembly out and in the truck...just used a big tranny jack to suppor the engine....