Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting rid of computer/TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CR, May 10, 2004.

1. CR

CR Registered Member

I have an 87 K5 that I am contemplating going away from the TBI and computer. Anyone done this? Possibly going to a carb and mech. gauges. I am just fustrated with the TBI and dont even like it very much to boot.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Learn something about it instead. The rest of us all wish we had TBI.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    k5

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Out of all the memebers on here since 99/00 (I forget what one /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) no-one has ever picked that user name /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Holy rusted out blazers Batman!

Your right!
    Thats priceless. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. CR

CR Registered Member

No, it's actually sad no one else thought of it first. But, back to the draining of the swap. Someone has surely done this before.

6. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Well, speaking as an official “old fart” who grew up wrenching on land yachts that had points and carbs, I say, stay with the TBI and ECM. You will be hard pressed to extract the efficiency and power out of a non-managed engine that you get now. If you take your Blazer out and abuse it like the rest of us here, you’ll soon find out that carbs detest the strange angles that your Blazer will find itself in while a TBI motor will just keep on chugging away. I won’t even mention the hassle of registering your vehicle after removing emissions equipment. Along those lines if your state doesn’t require emission testing, it will in the very near future.

A small block TBI motor can make a LOT of torque down low where you need it. As a matter of fact, if you have the $$ to pony up, GM Parts direct had a 383 that makes over 400 ft-lbs of torque; and you CAN make it work with a TBI.

Start out by learning how to burn your own chips. It’s not that hard (just a bit tedious) and you can gain a lot of power where you need it. Then add a quality set of headers and a good dual exhaust. And top it off with a 670-CFM Holley TBI (this where I’ve done to my beastie). I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the power increase with a bit of chip tuning.

7. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I will trade you an Edelbrock performer carb and intake to fit that engine for your TBI, it is on my rig right now, just wished I had TBI /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif