Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Rid of the Land Line - Any Advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Polaris, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Is there any reason why not to ditch the old-fashioned phone? We have cable internet and have a sudden need to save money in a big way. I need some pros and cons if you could.

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I did just that about a year ago. No cons at all. you can turn your phone off if you want, never miss a call when your not home, etc... I dont even have a cable from the phone box at the street to the house at all... told the phone company they were fired! Went to Nextel and have coverage everywhere. I save about $75.00 a month, not including long distance which was always in the $100.00 range. So ultimately I save around 150 - 200 a month by going cellular. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I didn't have a land line for 2 years. I had no problems. The only reason I have one now is because I'm required to for recall purposes. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I only use my land line for the net(I know... I hate it). Everyone got so used to calling me on my cell that it got to the point that nobody calls my home phone. Free long distance on cell is a BIG pro. My mom went totally cellular about 2 years ago and doesn't regret it and she's an old lady. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif My wife's mom went totally cellular over a year ago, no problems there and she's older than dirt.

5. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I've been wireless since 1999 and have never regretted it. Cable modem for internet, and we have two cell phones that are cheaper than the single land line we used to have.

The only thing to be careful of is to make sure you research phone companies carefully before buying a calling plan. I personally would pay the extra signing costs in order to NOT sign a contract so you can change plans as rates drop. Also look at the differences in technology between conventional digital networks like sprint and Verizon and the new GSM that's about a year from being the hottest [darn] out there. It all depends on where you live, where/how much you travel, and who/where you call as far as what's right for you. If you get the right plan for your useage, you can have a cell phone dirt cheap with no need for a land line.

My wife and I have unlimited nationwide roaming, unlimited long distance, and more minutes than we can use in a month for less than $70. Cable modem is another $30 per month, so for under $100 we have basically unlimited calling and high speed internet. Our landline used to cost $150 to $200 per month! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Landline rates have dropped a lot in the past year though, so again it depends on how much you travel and what kind of calls you make. (Sorry, so far there's no cheap 900 number plan... I keep hoping... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

What is GSM? What company do you use, unlimited roaming?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, if u dont use it for the net, ditch that house phone. Added benefit, you dont get hardly any sales people calling you on a cell. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I GOT A TELEMARKETING TEXT MESSAGE ON SATURDAY! I was sitting in the airport in Houston and got a text message telling me i could switch phone companies and keep my number and get all these benefits. I was mad as hell, I get 500 text messages for like $7 but damned if I want to waste them on a sales pitch!

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only thing I would worry about is in case of an Emergency you grab the cell phone and the Battery is dead........

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

So plug it in!

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    So plug it in!

[/ QUOTE ]Yours must recharge alot faster than mine...... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only thing I would worry about is in case of an Emergency you grab the cell phone and the Battery is dead........

[/ QUOTE ]

There's that concern, but we have 2 phones, car adapters and also the house charger. Tomorrow might be the big day /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'd like to thank everyone for their input. We could stay phone line & revert to dial-up internet /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif but it's really the same cost to ditch the phone line & stay broadband /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What is GSM? What company do you use, unlimited roaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have AT&T Digital One-Rate. They have two different plans, one for conventional digital and one for their new GSM network. It's probably best to go to http://www.attwireless.com/ and do some reading than to take my word for what GSM is/does. Basically GSM is what Europe already has and it allows a lot more funcionality and robust usage than the standard digital networks. I think everyone is planning to go GSM eventually, but it will take time.

On the battery issue, I always buy the best Lithium battery available with my phone. The last two phones I've had would hold a charge on standy for 10 days, and even with regular usage would not need charged for 3 days. If I charge it every night, my phone never even drops down a single bar on the battery meter. Depends greatly on the phone... Nokias have been the best for everything, including battery life, in my opinion. My current phone has a color LCD display and digital camera, and it still doesn't run down the battery after 2 or 3 days...

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Ours is $6 a month--local calls only. Saves you from using up your minutes on a local call. I've had several occasions I was glad we had it.

Verizon had some network problem and it did not work for two days.

Cell phones are small. I lose mine monthly.

A 911 operator is gonna have a hard time locating a cell phone.

If I don't want to give out my cell number...I give that one.

That said...the only reason we have it is for DSL.

Brian