Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting rid of the looseness of a 465 how to

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlueBlazer, Dec 9, 2004.

1. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, well I just completed a 465/205 swap into my crewcab, and drove it around all last night. First, let me let you know what I started with which was according to the previous owner a very loose and worn 465 that frequently popped out of 2nd (L-1-2-3) gear. Also, the shifter felt like a wet noodle and you could hardly tell if you were in neutral or in gear. Two pretty simple fixes took care of both of these problems and now the trans feels as tight as the day it rolled off the assembly line. First, replace worn shift forks. Take of the trans cover and inspect where the forks ride on the sliding collar. If the coating is worn through, replace the fork. I happened to get a used cover with a fork in very good condition but you can still buy them new as well for about 50 bucks IIRC. Replacing the fork(s) that are worn will almost surely fix any 2nd gear popout issues. Second, to get rid of the sloppiness of the shifter, first removed the shifter. The end of the shifter that actually fits into the forks has a rollpin holding it on to the shifter. Remove that rollpin and the tip can be pulled out. Now, you should see two grooves that may or may not have o-rings in them. In my case, both my 465 shifters o-rings were nearly disentegrated causing the tip of the shifter to wobble causing the looseness you feel at the other end. Go to the hardware store, find an o-ring that will fit tightly in that groove, and that will at the same time fit tightly into the end of the shifter. If any of you want to know the size I used, when I get home I can post this up. Anyway, this reduces the sloppy feeling to almost ZERO and the shifter now feels as tight as the shifter in my dad's almost brand new NV4500 in his Dodge. Also, after much trying, I could not get the trans to pop out of 2nd gear, so I am going to say that the fork fixed that problem as well most likely. That's it, hope this helps some of you guys out there. :saweet:

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks....:thumb::usaflag:

3. BlueBlazer

TTT in case anybody else cares.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I care. Thanks Tyler! :waytogo:

Rene

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

the inside gears of my trans was shot, so i have a reman on the way. I think i did pretty good got it for $500 with a 1 year warrenty. after I read this post i pull the tip off mine and what do you know the o-rings were gone. I had a o-ring kit and a roll pin kit on the shelf so replaced them. THANKS for the help.

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If you wanna cure the sloppiness the white - trashy way (aka not spending ANY money...) instead of replacing the roll pin / O rings you can just run a small bead of weld around the piece in the end of the shifter... mine has been that way for a couple years now...

7. BlueBlazer

I spent like 2 bucks total, and welding it solid is not a good idea because you need some give there in case the tip and the groove in the forks do not line up perfect. They engineered it that way for a reason.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I figured that it probably wasn't the healthiest thing in the world for it, but it seems to be working fine so far. Your solution is probably the better one!