Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Set To Install SYE on 241

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I ordered the JB Conversions SYE kit for my 241 case. It comes with a 1310 CV yoke. I am wondering if you all would recommend sticking with that, or going 1350, and why? What issues have you had with either? I need to get to work on this soon, so I can allow time to order a custom driveshaft and have it all together in 4 more weeks for a family trip /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I talked to John at JB about using the 1350 instead of the supplied 1310 yoke. He said the 1350 may need to be machined down to work. The spline count and size is right, but I think it might not seat correctly. I plan on picking up a 1350 yoke and having a better look myself...but it'll probably be a few weeks at the earliest.

rene

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I ordered mine from Jess at Highangle and just got the 1350 CV flange instead of a yoke.

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I talked to John at JB about using the 1350 instead of the supplied 1310 yoke. He said the 1350 may need to be machined down to work. The spline count and size is right, but I think it might not seat correctly. I plan on picking up a 1350 yoke and having a better look myself...but it'll probably be a few weeks at the earliest.

rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rene,

Did you get around to doing this yet? I'm about ready to get started and am debating which route to go - 1310 or 1350. Was it costly for the 1350, and where did you get it from?

Thanks!

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what makes a 1350 any better?

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I'm not quite sure actually. Size? Strength? I'd love it if someone could set me straight. I'd like to actually put my case back together this afternoon and, next weekend, get it in my truck. Big ride coming up soon, and I'm having driveline issues.

7. tRustyK5

We haven't done anything the last few weeks...we had to move shops and still don't have the new shop set up yet. <sigh>

Rene

8. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the 14 bolt uses a 1350 so first of all it'd be nice to have the same sized joints on both ends of the driveshaft. Secondly the 1350 is larger and stronger than the 1310.

Rene

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the 14 bolt uses a 1350 so first of all it'd be nice to have the same sized joints on both ends of the driveshaft. Secondly the 1350 is larger and stronger than the 1310.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

So, did you get around to this yet? I need to do mine this week. My truck is apart now... I want to go 1350 on both ends of the rear driveshaft. The Spicer part number that I get from JB Conversions for the 1350 yoke says non-CV. Do you just go with a non-CV shaft then? Have any of you used the 1310 that is supplied with the kit - and how's it holding up?

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The 1310 is ideal for Jeeps but on a heavy K5 with large tires I would strongly consider the 1350. I am running a CV shaft on mine but you should be ok with a good standard shaft depending on lift. The kit for the SYE is basically a 231 Jeep t case kit. The main shaft is the same for the 231 and 241. The yoke is for a non CV and you will need a flange for a CV shaft.

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks so much for the reply! I've been fretting all day about this /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Sounds like 1350, non-CV is what I'll do (4" lift). I'm going to give my local (well, 30 miles away) driveshaft shop the business and see how they do. My next trip is July 2-4 so the pressure is on! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif