Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting shackle bushings out....how?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to put on some front shackles and can't get the old factory bushings out. :confused: I can't take the hot wrench to them because I don't have a torch. Anybody got any ideas about how to get them out without totally removing the spring?

TIA

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

bushing info

the frame bushings: take a small flat screwdriver and walk it threw the outside off the bushing where it is in the factory tube. do this all the way around it and pry up and down at the same time with screw driver in there . it will break lose the bond from rust. with them out take a round file or die grinder and clean up tube . grease the new ones good .try this it has worked for me . if it dont then drill them out small drill bit . if this is the spring end thay are rubber incased in steel you need to press out.

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

i WAS GOING TO SAY HOT WRENCH ! BUT,
    LAY THEM ON A BLOCK OF WOOD AND BEAT THEM OUT WITH A BFH!!!:D

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used a drill. Drilled holes arround the bushing then cut off end and tap out.
    Pretty simple. Torch if you have it but then your getting into flaming goo
    :waytogo: :waytogo:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Big hammer. Small deep socket. Strike. Repeat.:D

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used a large C-clamp with a big socket on the back side and drove the bushings into the socket. My socket was to short so I had to cut the bushing and sleeve in half then drive out the other half.

Harley

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

press em out like a u-joint!

I have removed them using two peices of pipe,one the same size as the rubber insert,and another large enough for the bushing to pass thru,and a threaded rod--you put the threaded rod thru the bushing hole,one pipe on one side of the bushing,the smaller on the other side,add washers and tighten the nuts on the threaded rod,to "push" the bushing out--you may have to use penatrating oil.and beat on the bushing with a BFH to break it loose..Big breaker bar or impact is best for this chore...

Sometimes they are too stubborn to remove that way though--then torches,drilling them out,or a fit of rage and a BFH will get them out--if all else fails,they make a nice press that goes on a port-a-power that WILL get them out!!..My friend at the junkyard gets spring bushings out by dousing them with gas,and a lighter,lets them burn a few minites,then the rubber and inner sleeve will push out easily,then a hammer and chisel collapses the outer shell,and they come right out..be careful with fire!!..:crazy:

8. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I haven't been able to make it back out to the garage yet (a little to many parties :rolleyes: BUT hopfully I'll get to them tomorrow. I really DON"T want to pull the spring off the axle, so the fire method is kinda out of the question. The clamp and the pipe a washers ideas sound like a definate try. Thanks, will keep y'all posted.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I pulled mine out with my fingers. :D