Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting sick of burning plug wires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Nov 18, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Have tried about every different method of running my plug wires on my 85 GMC 350 and still manage to burn them, have tried the valve cover plastic spacers, tried the plug wire rails that bolt to the valve cover, tried the plastic seperators, anyone have pics or a method that always works, put on new wires with a setup I was certain would work yesterday but felt a miss today, checked and I had burnt it...pics are always helpful, oh yeah its stock manifolds /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    I have a set of spark plug protector boots like this on my wires and so far haven't had a burnt wire. Been about 6 months since installed headers and boots. Here is a link to Summit sales page.

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

My buddy has angle plug heads and headers that fit "not-a-so-good" and he uses the same type booties on his wires.

Also, are you using 90* boots or straight? With manifolds they should be 90*.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Try zip ties. Ever since I zip tied my plug wires out of the way I haven't burned a single one.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yep zipties, when i had my treefiddy in i had the plug wires ziptied to my air pipes. Course i also had headers, but get them exactly right, and tie em down. Only burnt one wire, and that was cause i had cut a tie changing plugs and forgot to retie it.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What kind of wires are you running? I've had a set of Taylor Spiro-Pro wires on the 4.3 in my '91 S-Jimmy for about 10 years. And they're next to Edelbrock TES headers, so they see plenty of heat. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Also have a set of the same wires on the 350 in the '94 Sub with stock manifolds. They've been on there about 5 years now.

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

cheapy wires, and its not even headers, my headers on the blazer have way better clearance......stock manifolds cook wires

8. redneck60164

redneck60164 1/2 ton status

i used to have that problem i am running headers but i got a set of accel exteme temp wires for the local race shop and i have n't had aproblem since wires are not even put in looms nicley the don't even get hot.

9. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I agree with the zip ties. Mine have been on for about 2 years, I have headers and haven't burnt one yet.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Taylor Spiro-Pro Wires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Have them on my Blazer and Mustang. Both have headers and see hard driving. No burnt wires. Half the price of MSD and other performance wires just as good in my opiinon.
    Do you have the heat sheilds on your manifolds ? If not you need some high temp wires.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    stock manifolds cook wires

[/ QUOTE ]
    The stock manifolds on my '94 haven't cooked a wire in 5 years. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif