Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting started on my 86 K5 **PIC added**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by biobry, Feb 10, 2004.

1. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Hi folks...I'm kinda new here, been lurking for a while and soaking up info. I bought a rebuildable 350 yesterday, getting ready to tear it down and do the deed. I've never built an engine before, but I've been repairing medical equipment for over 25 years so I am good with tools and my hands. I took the fenders and inner fenders off, down to the radiator support which just has the main bolts holding it to the frame. I'm in deep folks, no turning back now! Just wanted to share with the group, will try to do pics later...

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[​IMG]

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Re: Getting started on my 86 K5

keep us updated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh and welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Be carefull and take your time building that motor. It would be a good idea to have someone help you a little that has done it before. Try not to cut costs too much because motors are a perfect example of where it is a bad idea to reuse old parts.

Enjoy it though and I know you will, it was the most fun project I have done to my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Well, my primary reason for the engine rebuild versus crate motor was for the experience/fun of doing it myself. Any thoughts/suggestions on whose kit to use/not use? It does appear that most people agree on Fel-Pro gaskets...any more thoughts?

Thanks

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif