Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting the frame out from under the body?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what did you do to get the from under the body? a few friends? my body is STRPIIED DOWN completly. just the front end clip and tub. no interior. no doors, and no top
    grant

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Well, me an my hubby picked the cab up from the '56 GMC and did it that way. Best way would be to rent a hoist though....my shoulder started hurting just thinking about picking that cab up /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    I bet 5 or 6 people could pick up the tub though. I had taken a '75 tub without the doors to the scrap yard and it weight about 400 lbs (if I remember right)

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've done that with just me and my wife by using a couple of 4x4s and cinder blocks. I had 4 4" blocks and a pile of 8" blocks. I lifted the body enough using leverage, jacks, whatever; and slid the 4x4s under the body with about 2' sticking out each side. We stacked up 8" blocks till they came up to support the 4x4s. Then I went around to each one in turn, lifting the beam enough for my wife to get a 4" block under the beam. Once all the 4" blocks were in place, we repeated the process except that she pulled the 4" and put in an 8" block. This way you don't over balance, but you still need to be careful. Repeat until the body clears the tires, then roll the chassis out.

4. Seventy4Blazer

looks like i will be doing it that way then. bit by bit.
    thanks for the info.
    grant

5. Seventy4Blazer

oh, how many 4x4 post you use?
    ten foot i am assuming?
    grant

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I used 2. Don't remember, 10', or maybe 12'... Make sure they are in good shape without big knots and such. Longer is easier due to leverage. Also, keep the blocks in as close to the body as you can (even under the edge) to reduce the chance of breaking a post. Lift straight and steady, and make sure the blocks are square, if your not careful, you can dump the whole thing. Obviously, make sure no one is where they will get hurt if it goes over, and use the smallest tires you can to reduce the height. I've done it and not had problems but, there is some danger involved so be careful...

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think the job would be much easier if you removed the front clip first. Then lift the tub up and out of the way.

8. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

if you got a tree and some chain,rent or borrow a chain hoist this is how we lifted the bed off a
    m35

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I did it the hard way, but it worked for me.

Gutted the tub, nixed the front clip.
    Propped up the tub with jack stands.
    Pulled the axles out and bolted on casters with a pipe acting as a "axle". (2nd design)
    Rolled the frame out from under the tub.
    It worked for me because I needed to roll the frame out of the garage to do some other jobs occasionaly.

Just another way to go with it.

Usualy we just get some dudes togather and lift the body off.

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have lifted regular cabs off literally hundreds of times with a tractor/front end loader. I used a long 4x4, or even a round one, and slid it thru the door way, with the doors off or open and looped a chain on each end of the post or pole sticking out the door. Pulled up with the bucket/loader and moved it around.

I have seen a Suburban get it's body removed and another body reinstalled in place of it because the Sub was in a roll over.
    This guy used his dad's shop and the car lift. Simply pushed the truck between the lift and strategically placed the lifts arms under the body/rocker areas and lifted up the body high enough to roll the rest out and back a trailer in to haul the body off to the salvage yard.
    He did the same thing to a 2wd Sub and body and hauled the 2wd frame out and pushed his 4wd frame back under the new body. Lowered the lift back down and "voila!" A new-bodied Sub! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

So, to make a long story short, if you have or know a friend who has access to a shop lift, use that as they are the SAFEST method of raising a body as you can lower them back onto a trailer to move the body around. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, the front clip will have to come off. BUMMER!!!
    maybe i will just tube the front end also...
    thank you to all of you who have helped out so far.
    grant

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Clip is REAL easy. With air tools and a buddy you can have it off in 30 minutes. Pull the harness plug at the fire wall. Just take the bolt out in the middle of the terminal block and it unplugs and the block splits into a engine harness, heat and a/c and the frlont clip lights. Pull the battery cables loose. Pull the radiator, hoses, pop the heater hose clamp on the fender.
    two bolts inside the fender to the fire wall each side. bolt at the botom of each fender. Bolt by upper door hinge eache side, bolt by hood hinge into top of cowel each side. If it's a 81 up need to pull the spring off for the hood and might as well take the hood loose also. the 80 down you can leave the hood bolted up but it is much lighter and a little easier if you pull the hood.
    pull the two core suport bolts. It's loose get a bud to help lift it off.
    pulling theTub, the 4x4 trick will work but I would rather use some 2x2 trailer hitch tube. When your done use the 2x2 to make some new nurfs /forums/images/icons/smile.gif On the back it's easy. Just jack it off the frame enough to slide the 2x2 through the fender well over the frame. The front is a little more tricky. You got to lift enough to clear the tranny if it's still in the frame. So put a peice of 2x6 under the rocker boxes. Jac agains that so your distributing the load. Then slide your 2x2 or 4x4 under when you clear it and have it also be against the 2x6 to evenly distribute the load an not dimple the pinch welds.

13. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

If you have car hauler you could do what i did. Drive up on trailer-unhook everything, build temporary braces, jack up body and support it with braces, roll drive train back off trailer with help from a tow vehicle. Lastly and what was most important for me , cut braces and drop old body on trailer ready for the junkyard. It's a one man show at my house so you have to plan this stuff out.www.tennessee4x4.com/rocketcity/new_ride.htm

14. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, it is off now. just need to start on the tub now. and i can get the body lift i have had for over 2 years on along with the urethane bushings....
    but i am going to ethier have the frame powder coated or i am going to sandblast it and paint it Search And Rescue orange... i got 3 cases of paint from work. so i need to start using it. i think orange black and blue will look good.
    grant

15. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I also used a tractor but I just tied two tow ropes underneath it and lifted it off. It wored pretty well but you just have to be careful that the body doesn't swing and hit the tractor.

16. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Grant, Are you gonna Herculine the belly while you have the tub off? I would love to do that to mine someday. Think how easy it would be to clean, not to mention the benifit of rustproofing if you ever get transfered to somplace where rust is a problem. Go with powder coating if you can afford it. Powdercoat will last way longer and with a job that big I'd want it to last as long as possible. Just think your Blazer is almost 30 years old and you could pass it on to your grandkids when it's well into it's 90's.

17. Seventy4Blazer

line-x my brother.
    while i have the tub off i am going to mask off the mounts and take it down to line-x and have them to the undercariage. thing is i have to do my rockers first. so it will be a while on that.
    grant