Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting the most from 6.5's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Oblin Goblin, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Getting the most from 6.5\'s

Anybody have any suggestions for getting the best bass out of a set of 6.5" components? For now I'm trying to get the best quality bass I can without a sub because I can't really find a place to put one (or 2). I don't want to put them behind the back seats because I need the space to carry stuff. The 6.5's are mounted in the side panels next to the back seats. I was thinking about putting some dynamat around the speakers but I'm not sure how to apply it. I guess it goes on the back side of the panel. Would I have to clear away the foam isulation on the back side of the panel first? Would it do any good to mount the woofer on a dynamat ring on the outside of the panel? Any other suggestons would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Getting the most from 6.5\'s

It's going to be hard to break the laws of physics.....the best you can do is BEND them a bit!

6.5" is not going to produce LOW bass, because it simply can't displace much air. It will try to play the low notes, but they will be at such a reduced level relative to the other frequencies that it will be hard to hear them.

If you really don't want to put subs in....the best thing you can do is try to seal up the space where the 6.5" speakers go, and then do EVERYTHING you can to make the truck quieter inside....LOTS of dynamat everywhere!!!! If you can't make the speaker play LOW & LOUD....the only other option is to make the truck QUIET, so that you can hear it better.

If it were me, I'd try to find a sub with a shallow mounting depth (maybe a couple 8-inchers?) and use those in a sealed enclosure in the side panels. It's going to be hard to get what you want with those 6.5"s and all that dynamat is going to get really expensive too....!

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. maxq15

maxq15 Registered Member

Greg72........

How would you make a sealed enclosure behind the side panels? There doesn't seem to be much room. I have a pair of Boston Accoustics 8" subs and would like to do that but not sure how.

Sorry Oblin, didn't mean to take up your post but figured we might both learn something here.

Those who think money can't buy happiness don't know where to shop.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

MaxQ,

What I would do is figure out what the cavity depth is back behind that trim panel (drop a plumb line, or use a couple straight-edge rulers) then figure out if your speaker magnet will fit....and how much extra room you have. Since I'd build the box with 3/4" MDF, you are hoping that you've got at least 1.5" of extra space.

Then basically build a "mock-up" of the enclosure out of cardboard, and make sure that it fits completely behind the trim panel....you'll have to mess around with the shape &amp; size to get the volume needed for the sub, but that's why you use cardboard and masking tape...it's easy to modify.

After that, you'll need to translate your cardboard box model to an actual enclosure in MDF, and tuck it behind the factory trim panel.

VIOLA! You're done.... sounds simple, but YES it is a lot of work!

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I looked and theres no way I'll be able to fit a box big enough for even an 8" sub where my 6.5's are now. I might be able to fit a couple down lower in the side panels right behind the front seats but I think the roll bar I'm going to get will be in the way. I might have a solution though. Does anyone know anything about the Kenwood WooX? How does it sound? It looks like it would fit nicely under the front seat.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Look into a bass generator.....It doesn't give you true bass it just feels like air is moving........

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!