Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting the most performance ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 30, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

can anyone tell me some tidbits of advice, etc on how to get the most out of the engine. Ie.. cleaning things out... using octane boosters... etc etc? Any advice would help. Thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

Man, I need 350
    Damned 305's.

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

The basics, if it hasnt had a tune up in a while, do it. thats new spark plugs, wires, distrubutor cap and rotor, and set the timing right. You should also replace the air cleaner with a K&N, they will last a lot longer than the paper types and they flow better. Also replace the fuel filter. Other things you can do are get an aftermarket alum. intake and some headers with dual exhaust. Other things are the condition of the carb. If it hasnt been rebuilt it could use it but its difficult to do yourself for teh first time.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you replace you plug wires, cap, and rotor with the tune up then slap down some extra cash and get good performance stuff. I have an MSD coil, wires, and box. They work great. You would be surprised how much upgrading the ignition can boost performance.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

With the 305, look into adding an Edelbrock "Power Package" - Intake, cam/lifters, timing set and carb. All are dyno matched to work with one another - you can get power gains equivalent to a stock 350.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

everything mentioned above plus ive heard that rebuilding your tbi, and getting a spacer for it helps too.
    I've got a 305 with K&amp;N air filter, gone through and used platinum spark plugs, 8.5 mm wires, major tuneups before they are needed. It runs great and could (before I added 36's) smoke most fords and jeeps off the line. also had decent power up hills. Every once and a while will add NOS octane booster to clean everything out.(Also I'm now able to say I've added NOS to my truck lol!)

K5- because size DOES matter!
    <font color=blue> Fear This </font color=blue>
    <font color=black> http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Bucks-Truck </font color=black>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Edelbrock cam sucks. I suggest using the similar grind Xtreme 4x4 Comp that I have. The ramps are far more agressive and it has more valve lift, which makes for better flow.

DD 2000 says that with a 600 CFM carb, my 305 would make 252 HP. That's three from a stock Vortec 350.

The cam I'm talking about is a Comp Xtreme 4x4 250/258 advertised duration, 206/214 @ .050", .432/.453 lift, 111 lobe seperation angle. I highly recommend it. I have one torquey motor, I'll put it that way.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You had a problem with the Edelbrock? I've used it in 3 different motors now and loved it - the first one I bought was to replace a Crane Energizer (flattened 2 lobes in less than 10K), and it worked so well I've kept buying them - but then I don't normally need much torque.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>