Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting the steering box and wheel on center

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73k10sub, Jan 20, 2003.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

I did a search and found lots of info on centering the wheel, etc. when all parts are in place. My manuals don't seem to address this either.
    My question is how to do it when everthing has been removed?
    The steering column in my CUCV (K30) had to be replaced and the box came out and went to WTO for modification to hydro assist. I now have a replacement column in and the steering wheel is correctly aligned on that end of the column. I put the box back in today along with the ORD braces.

How do I center the box before putting the shaft in to tie the column to the box? Turning the box lock-to-lock is about 3 1/2 turns. Coming back about half that almost lines up. Is this close enough to go ahead and bolt the middle shaft in and do the crossover steering (ORD) install and then re-center by adjusting the tie rod and drag link?

Thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yes, that should work...good luck ever getting that thing to stay at the center though...

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

You got the main idea. Its easier when you have all the parts ready to go. Bolt the steering box to the frame. There's a notch on the bottom sector shaft that should point toward the rear when its centered, or just bolt up the pitman arm and make sure its pointing straight back. From there you should be able to bolt the rag joint to the steering column, it only goes on 2 ways so centering that shoud be obvious. Now for the draglink, bolt up the crossover arm and make sure your tires are straight. With the pitman arm in the center position simply adjust the ends so that it slides into the holes. You might have to fine tune it once you get it rolling.