Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting the steering box off the frame (cont.)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Dec 19, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I made a new post (see "Problem" for more info)
    I got the steering box bolted up by 3 bolts (it took a long time, and alot of patients, but I got it!) Then I got the nut off, and flipped it around like powermad said, so the little spikes (where the cotter pin sits after going through the hole in the bolt) and I am about to pound on it, to get it apart.
    Sound okay? And tips?
    I will be doing this in a few minutes...

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Haha no one replied!!
    I got the pitman arm/draglink apart using powermads method. And then took the steering box off.
    Then I got the u-bolt nuts undone from each side of the axle... total of 8. Then I hoisted the front up with the engine hoist, and rolled the front axle out. Then I took off the drivers side from spring. Then I got the passengeer side shackle bolts out, BUT the front spring bolt on the spring hanger was messed, and I accidently hit it with a hammer to hard (the nut couldn't screw on) and I wrecked the threads. So I thought I can replace it later, so I got went on the other side to the spring hanger bolt head, and tried to undo it, I could twist it when pushing down with the cheater bar, but all it did was flex the leaf spring. It didn't unwind. So then I grabbed my 12 pound sledge hammer and tried to knock the bolt off! It still didn't move. After a lot more hits, I got it almost out. But on the end, where it was being hit, the metal got pushed outwards, making a lip so I can't get through the hole. Tomorrow I will get the 4.5" grinder, and grind the tip off, then get a pick thingy, and knock it through the hole.
    I managed to bend the spring hanger in a inch or so... hopefully it won't be too hard to bend back.
    So as it sits right now, the front passenger spring is hanging from the front by the bolt, the front axle is a couple feet out towards the engine hoist. And I have the front of the frame resting on cement blocks (not the best thing to use)
    Tomorrow I will grind the front bolt to remove the spring, then I will get out the impact, and finish taking off the 8 u-bolt nuts from out in the rear (I already got them loose a bit on the passenger side, they were on TIGHT. then I have to loosen the drivers side, then use the 15/16! socket with impact and wind them off!
    Then I will roll the axle out backwards, then I will unbolt both springs, and lower the frame right to the ground. Then if I have time, I will somehow bring the frame into the shop.
    I'm in a really good moood. besides a little trouble with the steering box, and getting the u-bolt nuts off, today was a really smooth day!

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well anyways, Im going out there after breakfast to finish taking the front spring off, and the rear axle/springs off.
    Wish me luck!