Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting the tire off a rim w/o tire pliers or a shop...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 25, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

anyone have a good trick for getting a tire off a rim? I popped the bead, thats np... but I can't get the damn thing off. I'd really rather not pay some fool at a tire shop to do it for me... and I dont own tire pliers so.... any ideas?

J

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If the tires no good cut bead with hacksaw or die grinder.If good tire you need tire irons and elbow grease. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They're a real mutha to get off the rim. But call around to all the tire shops in your area. Most shops quoted me $10 to take 'em off. But I found a place that would do it for $2, so I quit wrestling with the tires! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. jekbrown

yeah.. i need the tire, unfortunately. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif wish it was that easy, Id just chop that sucker off! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Do you know any one that has a couple of big rig trucks? A lot of us that do have the BIG tire irons for tubeless truck tires. A set of them and a little tire soap and you're set.

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You can use a couple lug wrenches or crowbars..lay the tire/rim on its back, valve facing up. Left foot steps on left side of tire. Squirt soapy water around bead area, left foot holding tire bead down in the drop center, start prying rt. side of bead off with tools. Always keep 1 tool in to hold progress and leapfrog them clockwise. If its hard to pull irons, take smaller bites. For back bead, stand it on up, top of rim should be flopping out towards ya. Put 1 iron in at top and let weight of whole thing flop towards ya, keep iron about waist high. You'll get the idea. Good skill to practice for trail repairs. Steel toes come in handy, too! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif LOL!!

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Tyre-Pliers only help breaking the bead. You need tire irons to get it off/on the rim, and it's a mutha with 42" TSLs let me tell you! Anyway, you just need to get some tire irons, or crow bars will work, though not as well, and you will have more trouble NOT damaging the tire...

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It can be done with a couple crow bars. just need to becarfull not to damage the bead. I found it was easiest with 2 long bars and a short one avout 14 inches. Leave one in to keep it from pulling back on as you pry the other side loose. Take the other two and wale around the other side. You can use the the short one to pry against. Little soapy water helps a lot but before you seat the bead wipe it off with a clean dame cloth. The soap will let the bead roll easier if you leave it on.

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I've read somewhere that if you have a Hi-Lift jack, place the base on the sidewall and jack up the vehicle, the sheer wieght of the vehicle will peel the tire off. But be careful, it seems dangerous.

10. HarryH3

That will pop the bead, but you still have the rim inside the tire. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Boy, I think I'd pay the fool at the shop to do it, unless this needs to be practiced for the trail! What a PITA.

12. HarryH3

Just always wheel with a group. There will always be plenty of guys in the group that want to prove how manly they are. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif They're the ones that will wrestle with the tire for ya! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. 468ratman

468ratman Registered Member

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Exactly. It's great to be a girl!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just pay someone. It wont cost much and It aint worth the time or hassle.
    Question to ask your self: Who is the bigger fool ? The guy who uses a machine? Or the one who spends an hour busting his kunckles getting a tire off?

16. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

Dad has these two steel paddles for doing this. They're old, don't know how much a set goes for... You've gotta pop the bead off the rim, that usually takes a piece of 4x4 and driving on to it, but after that you can pop the rim out in about 10 mins which is considerably cheaper (free) and faster than driving to a wheel shop to get them to do it...

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you want it off, dont care for the tire go to a dirt area and drive on it. tire will come of. the dirt, if no rocks around wont hurt the rim. best idea? no but if you are cheap like me it works.
    grant

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Problem is, most shops can't/won't touch the big tires. Those that have the equipment and desire to do it charge a fortune, and, for me, they were all on the opposite side of town. For just about the same price as having them unmount/remount my 42s, I bought tyre-pliers along with a nice plug/patch/repair kit. I figured it would be good for the trail, and if I had it, I needed to practice before needing it on the trail, so, voila...

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

OOps sorry guess I should have checked his profile. didn't know we were talking 39s here /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    Might be better/cheaper to do it your self. I have changed many tires with tire irons/pry bars.( i used to be one of those fools at the tire shop /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) its not that hard. Just use lots of soap.

20. jekbrown

lol! actually the tire/rim I am talkin about is a 31" AT on a factory rally wheel. thanks for the info guys, and that link... handy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Taking it to a shop would be easy.... but I am a) trying to save $ and b) always interested in learning how to do these kinds of things just in case I have to do it 200 miles from nowhere someday.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j