Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Tired Of My Ghetto System

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I must admit that my crew cab is in really good shape, however the previous owner tried to really streatch his dollar on the sterio. I got rid of the origional (probably 1987) Kenwood CD player and got a really nice Sony. Now to the problem. He cut holes in all 4 of the lower doors to mount the sh!tty speakers. :doah: They're all beat up and don't sound really good at all. I've decided to move the speakers out of the door and use diamond plate for the lower door pannels. I ordered some QLogic kick panels for the front speakers. Anyway, for the rear, I'm thinking of making a custom box out of fiberglass to go behind the seat. I found these pics on the net. Anyone do anything like this? Or, have a website to help in giving some direction? :confused:

Behind The Seat 1.jpg

Behind The Seat 2.jpg

Behind The Seat 3.jpg

2. stiches

stiches Registered Member

i can't see the attachments...cause i am only a free member for right now...but first i think someone was on a mission about a month ago and he made some kick ass kick panels for the front..you might want to check that out

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I would guess its a one off. I don't think it would be that hard to make, just time consuming. I have two truck boxes behind my seat and they work fine.

4. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

why og through all the trouble and mess of fiberglass its a pritty strait foward box design, just make it out of wood... and then cover it with leather or the jeneric , hell even paint it...

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

fiberglass is a lot of work. takes practice to do it well. google fiberglass tutorials and you'll find a wealth of information out there on this stuff. but im with these guys...just build it out of wood maybe seal it up with resin.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That design makes NO sense....

Two sets of coaxial speakers playing directly into the back of the seat??? What does he expect to hear with a setup like that.....? My guess is that it's just a muffled mess, unless the seat is actually flipped forward for listening.

You can put bass drivers in an enclosure like that, but for midrange and tweets....get them up front where they belong.

:deal:

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

My boxes have the 8" sub facing the seat and a tweeter on the top. No problems hearing it:D

8. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thats a hell of alot of box for no subs.

id do a single 10" sub and some really good componants.

amps, etc are up to you.

9. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I'm with you on that. It wouldn't be exactly like that. I'm looking to put some good 6x9s in the cab corners and building a similar box to do so. I'll probably put 2 10" subs and the amps in it. I'm going QLogic kickpanels up front.

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Heres what this guy did, and I may do it to my crew cab too but the only problem is I like having the room behind the seat for oil, coolant and all kinds of little goodies. However, theres no where else for subs to go, I built some boxes for my blazer and I covered them with gray felt from home depot, they came out really nice. They go on top of the fenderwells next to the bench seat, and the 2-10's sound really good too. Perfect amount of bass and sounds for my setup.

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/interior/speaker_box.htm

Or after you build your boxes take them to an upholstry shop and have them cover it.