Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Tired

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5s, Jan 4, 2002.

1. new2k5s

new2k5s Registered Member

I have an 87 K5 with the TBI 350. I have a brand new 7004r and new 373 gears front and back. I am wanting to tow a 2K - 2.5K lb trailer and she is very hesitant about any sort of incline. Even without the trailer she is weak. It has 75K miles and has been well taken care of.

What do I do to get more power without having to build a monster that isn't street leagal.

Rebuild the TBI??
    Headers???
    High flow catalytic with flowmaster exhaust??

Pull the engine and put a newer 350 in there?? Remeber the street legal comment!!

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i dont think you would have much problem they way it is...the only thing to really be conserned about is the rear axle...if you are goin to be towing everyday..day in and day out then you might want to consider upgrading...but just for a once and awhile thing i wouldent worry about it...i have a 88 and befor i did my axle swap i was running almost the same set up....350 tbi, 700r4, and 10 bolt axles with 3.73's runnin on 33" and i towed my 72 blazer on a car trailer from pheonix AZ to Stockton CA (almost to sacramento about 40 miles south) and i dident have any problems climbing hills or anything like that...it slowed down to maybe 25 in the really steep areas but it never droped below that when climbing...
    i havent towed with the set up i have in now so i am not sure how it would act..i now have all the one ton axles and converted to a manual tranny and 4:56 gears with 35" tires...i am sure it would tow alot better.

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

a 2k trailer you should barely be able to tell you are towing anything. is your truck running good now, you know the simple things like proper tune.
    my 88 tbi 350 blazer(stock motor 90k miles) tows my 16 ft car hauler (1500lbs) and i forget the thing is there. even when loaded down the truck pulls the trailer fairly well.
    i would not really mod an engine if all you are going to do is make up for an existing problem in the engine. if it needs work spring for the rebuild or whatever it needs now, rather then worry about it every time you tow.

also what size tires are you running on your blazer? and are you sure the trailer weighs only 2k. i had to weigh my trailer on a scale to find out what it weighs, the guy at the dealer told me it only weighed 1000lbs, needless to say he was a little off.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by GONZO2 on 01/04/02 02:30 PM.</FONT></P>

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

When you say 'hesitant on inclines' are you referring to highway speeds in overdrive? If so, that is probably normal, especially in Colorado, with real inclines. Drop it into 3rd gear, out of overdrive, anytime you get to these inclines and especially when towing. With any 700R4, you should also have an external tranny cooler regardless of what you do with the truck.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

you should not be towing in overdrive at all...the tranny will really heat up quick if you do then you can kiss 1k good by when u have to rebuild the thing

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

6. new2k5s

new2k5s Registered Member

I am running 31" tires and the trailer weighs no more than 2,500 lbs. Thats what concerns me. The engine runs well, I am going to test the compression but provided that checks out where do I look next? What I don't want is to put a whole lot into the engine if it really needs to be pulled and replaced. I just have a hard time believing that a 350 Chevy is shot with only 75K miles.

Suggestions please