Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting tires on 15" rims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Feb 26, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i just picked up 2 38.5x14.50x15 TSL SX's and i was wondering if its worth the trouble to save $20 per tire mounting them urself or should i go to a shop and get them mounted in a couple weeks when i can offord it.:doah: im just looking for some people that have experience doing this, what they used etc.

ps...i have NO money

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I mounted my 37 MTRs on a set of 15s with nothing more than a can of wd-40 my MV-50 air compressor and the factory lug wrench from under the hood. Took me aboot 2 hours for 5 with air up time:D . It was my first time ever mounting tires on my own.

Just make sure you put them on the rim from the front side, This allows the bead of the tire to sit in the drop well and lets you get the second bead on "easier". SXs have a pretty stiff and thick sidewall but being a 38.5 there should be plenty of give in it for you to get them on. Just be carefull to not use anything with a square edge right on the bead:D .

Ira

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

mike, go to walmrt cost like 3.50 per tire to get them mounted and not balanced.

4. stockk5

awesome.....i guess ill try that, sounds pretty simple...just some elbow grease i guess, thanks man

5. stockk5

hey, i forgot ur name, but this is his brother shaun, i was with mike when we picked up those axels...im the one that got tires today....anywho.....are u sure walmart wont wreck them and they have a big enough machine?

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i dont think walmart will ahve a big enough machine for 38's. 35's would prolly be the max.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

names nick. they did my 36's no problem. there machine should be able to handle and if not its worth the try. I found the wal mart "tech's" have a certain attitude that's "i can mount any tire" and will fight until they get it mounted. i had them do 5 36's and they were all done good. was defiently worth the time and hassle saved.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

also i know some walmarts sell mtrs up to like 42" and they have to have machines to do those so i cant see why they wouldnt be able to do 38's. when the stores are buitl they all use the same tools so if one store can do it the other one should.

9. stockk5

oo ok...cool thanks for the info nick, ill look into it

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my local walmart doesn't sell tires. But I'm not sure if this is just a local place but look up Town Fair Tire, they have free mounting and balancing and fix a flat and tire rotation specials going on.

11. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

They did my 38X12.50's no problem and it was only 3.50 each. I will never bust my back in the driveway again with soap and prybars for 3.50.

12. TFk5

TFk5 Newbie

get either, put the tire on the rim, spray some either on there, toss a match on it, it pops right onto the rim. be very freakin careful though. i aint tellin ya to do it though. :wink1:

13. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I had walmart do my 39.5 boggers there machine was struggling but got it done.

14. stockk5

it looks like ill be taking a field trip to walmart, WOOHOO WALLY WORLD!:haha: thanks for the input guys:bow:

15. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

They mounted my 33" TSL's and were slightly jealous of the deal I got on those tires.. The bimbo at the desk had a hard time letting me tell her what I wanted done, but I finally got it straight. $14 even for all 4 tires. They did an excellent job.. Just check the pressure as soon as you get home, because tire shops are notorious (at least in my experience) for putting all kinds of funky pressures in tires. I couldn't have been more happy with the job wally world did. I also had a good time window shopping for tools and picking out rattle can paint colors, while I waited :D
    thanks,
    James

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That won't get the tire onto the rim.

Most modern shops have the same mounting equipment. They shouldn't screw it unless the guy running the machine is lost. Until Walmart adds a surcharge for big tires its the best deal out there.

Balancing is another story.

17. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i totally forgot to ask, but will walmart be able to take old 38.5x15x15 tires off, im asking because i went to pepboys and they couldnt take it off, the machine barely reached, and they didnt want to attempt it cuz they didnt want to bend my rims, so do u think walmart could take the old tires off....or could i easily take them off myself?

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If they won't and the tires are junk you can cut them off.

My machine won't dismount bigger than a 36 w/o having to flip the tire over (at least that is the biggest I have done & it seemed to be maxed out), but I can mount bigger w/o a problem.

19. stockk5

finally got them mounted...i went to walmart like u told me to nick, and they did it no problem....o ya FOR FREE...the guy was really cool.:D

20. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

Boy now I feel like I got ripped off at $3.50 a tire. Oh well I would pay it again in a second.

Sweet deal, glad it worked for you.:waytogo: :pimp: