Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting Wheel Locks Off??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Sep 26, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I have a set of axles I need sell, but I have to get the wheels off first, and the damn wheels have locks on them. I got them from someones else and no one has the "key" to get them off. So how do I get the locks loose? TIA

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

How about a pair of vice grips?

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i think if you take them to a tire store near you they have a tool that removes them . Might destroy the locks , sounds like you don't care about them .

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Get some impact sockets, and drive the closest one that just barely doesn't fit on with a hammer, then remove the lock. I have used this method several times with great success [​IMG].

Jeff427
    <a target="_blank" href=http://muddog.off-road.ws>Mud Dog Off Road Club</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://lyonsdesign.bizhosting.com>Lyons Design Web Site</a>

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I second the socket method. Find a socket that is just a tad too small to fit over the lug, and hammer it on there. The just take it off.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <a target="_blank" href=http://stoopalini.off-road.ws/blazer>My Blazer Site</a>

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Which type are they the McGard (little clover looking deal on top) or Gorilla (splined type on bottom of shank)? I've had success getting the Gorilla locks off with a standard deep socket hammered on to the lock. If nothing else works, and you can't get them to a tire shop, try and catch your local Snap-On guy - Stock # TSR600 is their most basic locking nut remover - costs $33.75. I used to have one, and it worked great for rounded off nuts also, so well that I loaned it to a buddy and it never came back[​IMG]

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I third the socket method, but you can also use one that fits snug without hammering it on, and impact it off at an angle. The guy that did mine did that, it also prevented him from having to bang the nuts out of the socket when it was done too.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Another favorer of the socket method. I would get a 12 point socket that is a cheapie that I don't mind screwing up. Craftsman won't warranty abused sockets that are hamered on.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Cheapies work better too!! A better socket will crack, where the cheapos will actually bend a little and conform to the nut.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

10. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

At my dads muffler shop they will usually just weld another nut on to the lock and zip it right off.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

used the oversize socket method with good luck.. The best socket is an old (or new for that matter) spark plug socket.. of course it depends on the size of the lugnut but I must have half a dozen worthless spark plug sockets and I hammered it on, and screwed the wheel lock right off..

mike

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't like the nut welding deal...most times the weld ain't gonna be strong enough, but more importantly if the ground cable is attached to the wrong thing you'll have current running through your wheel bearing possibly arcing across the race and ruining them...the cheap socket method has always worked for me. It works so well I don't see any point in having wheel locks in the first place.

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Rene has a good point. I watched the boys at America's Tire take all four of mine off my previous wheels in about 2 minutes.......with sockets tapped over the locks (they were McGards at the time, but it would be just as easy with Gorillas). Guess having them only gives us a bit of piece of mind as well as delaying the inevitable if someone really wants your wheels............

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Worst case you get the wheel lock removal ssocket from Ken-Tool. The cheap socket trick works and never failed me yet.

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

15. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

No, no, no....You guys have it all wrong....way too much work. Tap this, weld that.... I have the best solution to the problem.[​IMG]

Just sell the rims and tires with the axles!![​IMG]

Way less work if you ask me.

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

16. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>They make a tool that is tappered and reverse threaded on the inside. Put this on your impact and push it over the lock while you're loosening it. Since its tapered the threads on the inside will eventually catch it and since its reverse threaded they'll back it right out. I do this at work all the time, its quick effective and easy.

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That's the same one I listed - I use that thing quite a bit for rounded nuts and bolts as well as lug nuts. Lisle and K-D also make the same thing that I know of, but I don't have the p/n or price for either.