Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

getting zero-rates soon... will my shocks be ok?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Feb 13, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it's only one inch, will it make a difference? i have the stock dual shock mounts with RS-5000s all around. oh and how hard will these be to install?

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I didn't have any problems with the shocks, and my zero rate, but my rear springs do sag a little. As for install, its easy. This is what I did. I supported the rear of the truck on jackstands, took off the rear tires, unbolted the axle, lowered it, removed the center pin, and installed the new center pin and zero rate. Then reversed the process.

The only part that was tricky was getting the axle low enough to get the new center pin in. I had to cut them before I put them into the springs. I left them about an inch to long. To get the axle low enough, I put a third jack stand on one side of the axle and lowered the jack to the point where the drum opposite the 3rd jackstand was almost on the ground. Then I had room to get the new center pin and zero rate in. Then I repeated the process for the other side. Cut the center pins after they are in to fit under the spring plate, and bolt the axle in.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

thanks a lot!

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd put a c clamp over the springs before you go removing the center pins. It'll be much easier then.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Hossbaby50

Ya, I forgot to put that part in. I did use a c-clip to hold the spring pack together.

6. Hossbaby50

It would be really straight forward if you had the tall jackstand, but I only had the normal heighth ones. I also only have 2.5" of lift, if you have more then that you WILL need the tall jackstand. I barely could get the zero rate in with only 2.5" of lift and normal height stands.

7. ben794X4

ben794X4 Registered Member

here is a dumb question. what are/is a zero-rate

79 4x4 k5 stock
    3spd granny stock 350
    12 bolt open rear
    10 bolt open front
    Subvert the accepted paradigm.

8. Hossbaby50

It is a 1 inch lift block that is bolted into your spring pack to provide an extra inch of lift for the sagging rear ends of a GM or anyother reason you have to lift the truck an inch. It is available from Offroad Design of $30, and they just came out with a new one you can read about in the Offroad Design forum.