Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ghanging breaks questions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Sep 18, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I have break pads from pep boys and want them installed (front) i called place and they want 90 to install my pads and machine my roder... but tried to talk me into 80 dollar pads? and another place said 225 Labor for installing my own pads cause he says with a 4wd you have to diss assemble the hubs or something like that ? which is correct ?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Neither one. Spend $20 on a Haynes manual and $30 on brake pads and do them yourself. Brakes are simple, just take your time and make sure you do it right. The hubs do need to be removed to get the rotor off, but it's like 20 minutes of work, $225 is highway robbery. </font color>

3. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I'm sure alot of us here could walk you through this procedure in our sleep from doing it so many times. If you have any specific questions, just ask! If you need, i can scan some pages out of my chilton if you don't want to buy a manual, just ask! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Hey, your the "Jolly good fellow" huh!! Can i have youre autograph.... j/k but thanks and i have to have the breaks done tomorrow because i am going to pismo beach friday and don't have time before then to do them myself. So just to install my breaks what is a decent shop price? and my bro said if my roders don't feel warped to me while stopping then i don't have to get them machined, what do you all think.

5. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

its not just wavyness, but thickness also. There should be a minimum thickness for rotors, and if they are too thin, they cant be machined. But either way, those prices are double what they should be.

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Have you had the wheels off to look at the rotors/brakes?

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

nahh... i know about as much about my truck now as i did when i was 2... i know nothing. I wish i lived closer to someone on this site so i could hang with them and lears everything i want... Blazinare is the closes to me and he's more than an hour away

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

What sypmtoms are you encountering to lead you to believe new brakes are in order?

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

actually.. just squeeking off and on for a few months (4 1/2 months actually) but work fine still... but every now and then when i stop they squeek as i'm stopping.

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well shoot, My brakes used to squeek like a mug when i stopped, well they did before my 10 bolt exploded. Just pull off the wheels and give the brakes a good drenching in brake cleaner. It should stop the squeeking for a while.